Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,
I used this recipe but with their Cabernet Sauv product. I think if I were to do it again with the same product I would use less sugar syrup. And leave it in the Oak longer.
Bill:ib

Bill those are a couple of things I have learned from this thread! Sugar is easy to add, harder to get right...add slowly stir, let sit, and use that hydrometer. Just because you are at the end of the time line, doesn't mean you're done. I thought my Malbec still needed "something" when it was "done"...so I added some more oak and let it soak...it's getting there!

That's what I like about tweaking...just keep tweaking until you say,
"there...that's better"! Of course, in my case, it helps to be un-informed and thus freed from the nagging little details of what a Malbec is actually supposed to taste like....I can just make it taste good to me!

remember every wine maker has his or hers on taste to take it to account.:f
SpikeLemon: if you look at the profile of a merlot blackberries' are in the equation,they help add depth and a good over all flavor, wood in any format is in the make up of merlot, for me French oak 2 cups in the primary along with a heavy tablespoon of tannins continues building the structure, also tannins in the secondary, IMOP:db.....are you doing a 6gallon batch reduced to 5???

No, I'm doing it at a full 6 gallons. Both my 5 gallon carboys are full. Perhaps by the time I get to the second kit in the box that I'll have emptied one of my 5gal carboys.

I would not disagree that blackberries would be a good fit. But raspberries I have and thus added - and it smells delicious. Maybe the craisins didn't need to be added...

In my mind's eye: Merlot goes with everything.

Your comments did get me to search around, though, on taste profiles for Merlots.
http://winefolly.com/tutorial/merlot-wine-taste-and-food-pairing/

Cheap kits

Wineforfun: for the Riesling I would add grapefruit zest about 1/2 in the secondary then you could always add to taste. Chose a yeast profile for this style wine such as,BA11,QA23,ICV-D47 take the next step in your journey.:h
Billpizzaiolo:Chestnut tannins are a excellent choice an item I haven't seen a round in a long time ,good move .:h
Mismost and SpikedLemon: this is what this hobby is supposed to be creative and fun.:db see you can take a cheap kit and turn it into something else :HB

7.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

IMG_20160226_155804528.jpg

16 Raisins.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
How much zest do you use?
Would you make the kit a 5 gal. one instead of 6 gal.?
Would you add raisins or currants or nothing to the Reisling?
Would you add extra tannin to it?

Just not that familiar with the Reisling.

Well, I thought I'd enter the "playroom" since so much fun was being had by all. I went with a Fontana Malbec as my first cheap-kit tweaker. I added 1 cup oak, 1 cup currants, 1 tblsp tannin and 1qt simple syrup.

image.jpg

Well, I thought I'd enter the "playroom" since so much fun was being had by all. I went with a Fontana Malbec as my first cheap-kit tweaker. I added 1 cup oak, 1 cup currants, 1 tblsp tannin and 1qt simple syrup.

The fontana reds are great for low price kits and the merlot and malbec are my favorite. Good choice there! The white kits on the other hand have a lot to be desired as far as flavor, color, clarity, etc. I would not do any of the whites with maybe an exception for the chardonnay with lots of oak. Not sure why the difference between the reds and whites is so pronounced. Let us know how it comes along please

Cheap kits

wineforfun: I made it a 5 gallon kit ,but I would either add a fpac in the primary and zest in the secondary, no oak or tannins unless you want to Riesling don't do well with eithers. Some suggestions below>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1.jpg

9.jpg

11 (2).jpg

IMG_20150309_094400341.jpg

@joeswine fpac sounds right on.
How much zest in secondary? And you said grapefruit, correct? Your picture looks like lime.

The fontana reds are great for low price kits and the merlot and malbec are my favorite. Good choice there! The white kits on the other hand have a lot to be desired as far as flavor, color, clarity, etc. I would not do any of the whites with maybe an exception for the chardonnay with lots of oak. Not sure why the difference between the reds and whites is so pronounced. Let us know how it comes along please

Have you tried the Fontana Reisling? It is in my radar as my wife is wanting a sweet wine and it seems to be the only one to fit the bill.

I just bottled my Fontana Malbec and it turned out well. Used Joe's tweaks and suggestions with it.

Cheap kits

wineforfun:I haven't but Kate my wino buddy has here in my cellar and it comes out semi-sweet pretty much spot on for a Riesling, the fpac adds some more structure to this lite body wine and a little harder to clear but it was worth the effort ,:db' don't add the zest until your done and cleared ready to bottle ,then taste it if you think it lacks a bite or crispness to the finish then add the zest (1/2 grapefruit):db and let it sit 1 month then bottle. Remember you can always back sweeten but first you need a decent wine to work with.::::::::::::::::::::::::

Thanks Joe, I will move forward with it. Going on vacation then will get it going.

I just made a Johannesburg Riesling from a cheap kit (forget the name now) to the 5 gal mark. Will report on the weekend how it turned out. Still clearing.

I just made a Johannesburg Riesling from a cheap kit (forget the name now) to the 5 gal mark. Will report on the weekend how it turned out. Still clearing.

Sounds good, thanks.

Just looking for a cheapy sweet kit to make for my wife. I stumbled across that Fontana Reisling. Just need to stick with a $40 - $50 kit that I can get on Amazon as I get free money through work to use on there.

@joeswine Joe,
Did you get my PM? Sent you one about a package I sent you. Didn't hear from you.

Appreciate that, but not necessary. Just wanted to send you a token of my appreciation for all your help.

cheap malbec

LOOK! what i received today from wineforfun :db THANK YOU AND WILL SEND OUT ONE OF MY SUPER TUSCANS FOR YOU TO TASTE ,THANKS AGAIN.

IMG_20160428_141718708.jpg

IMG_20160428_141732333.jpg

Last edited:
Sweeeeeet, was hoping it would make it there unbroken.

I think I would let it breathe or aerate.

Again, please give me honest feedback, good or bad, as I will be doing more of these type kits until my A.D.D. kicks in.

Cheap wine kits

Calling all cheap kit wine maker's how are you doing with the following, taste,pro's and Con's, the process itself,and what are your thoughts.

Just degassed and racked the Merlot. Around three weeks in to it. Taste is good so far.

Should I be adding pectic enzyme since I'd added fruit?

Latest posts

Back