Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the cheaper kits decreasing the water improves the structure and depending on the kit the abv, will adjust itself accordingly
I partially disagree with this. With the reputable vendors such as Winexpert and RJ Spagnols, I've had lesser results in recent years with shorting the water. The kits are balanced for a 23 liter reconstitution, and adding less throws off the acid, making them sharp. This is true for their lower end kits.

Other kits? I'd still reconstitute to the full 23 liters, trusting the vendor has balanced the kit. If the vendor hasn't? I'm of the "wait-n-see" school of thought, so I read a lot of reviews before buying anything.

IME it makes more sense to add to the kits to increase body, e.g. raisins, currents, more grape concentrate, etc. One thing I haven't seen included in kits in at least a decade is dried elderberries. I recall red kits often included a packet of dried elderberries to increase body.

Those Vendors you’re talking about don’t sell 59 and $49 kits.
The concentrates are higher there for the structure is denser . The average ABV and those kids around 12%, And although you can tweak these kits just as easily as you can tweak the cheaper you need to be just as careful of the balance.

Those Vendors you’re talking about don’t sell 59 and $49 kits.
The concentrates are higher there for the structure is denser . The average ABV and those kids around 12%, And although you can tweak these kits just as easily as you can tweak the cheaper you need to be just as careful of the balance.
This illustrates a very important point -- this thread cover 2 similar but separate topics -- tweaking good quality kits and tweaking low quality kits.

From my POV, tweaking WE and RJS kits is improving upon the base. Even their bottom end kits are pretty good. [Other vendors fit this criteria, but other than FWK I don't have personal experience to say which ones.]

For low end kits (as you said, retailing below $60 USD), the base itself may need improving, so shorting water improves it.

A point of misunderstanding is that some may believe that "tweaking cheap kits" applies to any low end kit by any vendor, which is incorrect. Given that we're 143 pages into this thread, I don't see a way of keeping this straight other than to periodically remind folks of the difference.

You would be surprised at how many people on this thread , no the difference and even reading (when good wines gone bad) either of the two ,top end and bottom end kits it’s just a base wine, you can do what you want and build your own wines style, there are over 445k views , over 300k replies.
The proof is in the reading and the asking.

something fruity and a real-time winner. watch what happens this year when I send this one out.
The addition of fresh fruit makes all the taste difference in the fruit party.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 27
Going to start a Wine Lovers pinot grigio kit in the near future. Is the general consensus reducing the capacity a bit (less water) and adding rehydrated white raisins and/or apricots and grapefruit zest?

EDIT - spelling (I hate it when I misspell something ;) )

Last edited:
Is the general concensus reducing the capacity a bit (less water)
The consensus is probably to short the water, but I've stopped doing that. 23 liter kits are designed for reconstitution to 23 liters, and doing otherwise throws them out of balance. I've had 2 kits prove to be unpleasantly acidic in the last couple of years, and I attribute it to shorting the water. My suggestion is to reconstitute the kit as per directions, than add to that to build body.

The adjective is multi-faceted, first decreasing the water increases the Abv. That you can adjust to.
Second, it concentrates the density and structure, this gives the winemaker control of the entire process, from adding enhancements to control of tannins and oak levels.
All kits are not created equal that’s very true the difference is YOU, your developing skills as a winemaker, there isn’t a decent winemaker out there who hasn’t experienced or experimented with winemaking, that’s who we are.
And lastly, knowing how to adjust the “Ho Shit moment’s “. Makes this creative hobby so desirable.
At least that's my view...

Last edited:
cheap kit workshop... now this was a medium-priced kit, following the same principles, using your Hydrometer as you guile to the alcohol level you enjoy knowing that we're always trying to achieve balance in the final product, adding the Zest in the primary is the best method it adds acidity naturally,
If you're thinking of adding fruit in the primary then, by all means, try it, always remembering "less is more", also keeping in mind what your base wine naturally characteristics are you don't want to confuse the wine or create a wine profile you're truly not expecting.
stay within the borders of the wine profile and all should be well in the end. It's all trial-and-error that's what winemaking is all about, remember you control the process.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 25
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 23
  • stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 23
How about something festive for the holidays... Cranberry and Pear wines.

Phase #1////////////////////////Both take time to mature but are worth the wait...Happy holidays

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 17
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 18
Phase#2

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 - Copy.jpg
    10 - Copy.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CLEARIN PEAR WINE 003.jpg
    CLEARIN PEAR WINE 003.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 13
  • crandberri03.jpg
    crandberri03.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
  • crandberry 02.jpg
    crandberry 02.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 11
My daughter and I are working on Pinot Noir kit from Wine Lovers Online...the 11.5% kit. She wants sweet cherry in the foreground, lightly oaked and smooth finish. However, I'm having trouble finding sweet cherries to make an FPack. I'm thinking about getting a cherry puree from the LHBS. Thoughts?

Use the maraschino cherries in the jar just like they come .
Small jar straight in to the primary.
To use as a background flavor apply to. The secondary.
Thoughts??
I’ve used them before can you buy canned cherries? If so wash them before using them they’ll work also.

Last edited:
I've been tweaking the medium body cheap kits (11.5%). I was looking at the ABC Craft series and they have everything from light body (7%) to heavy body (13.5 %). I am toying with making a triple batch and wondered how it would go to take two of the light body and one medium/heavy body (12.5%) and blend for aging. Is that silly? Has anyone tried this? The med/heavy give me 10L of juice as opposed to 4.8Lor 5.3L. Am I overthinking? Should I keep on with what worked?

Yes your over thinking the process, do what you want ,try something different ? Or stay with what has worked for you.
Leaving how to create structure in your wine is we’re it’s at , understand?

I suppose I want to stay with what works. I tweaked a Tempranillo that turned out to be a family favorite. Guess I'll stick with what worked. To much thinking in the cold, dead winter.

That helps. Thanks!

I am toying with making a triple batch and wondered how it would go to take two of the light body and one medium/heavy body (12.5%) and blend for aging.
What is your goal? Is it the the light body is a bit too light and you want to bump up the body? If so, your idea sounds reasonable.

When brainstorming ideas, keep in mind that you'll discard most of the ideas in favor of the 1 or 2 best ones. But if you don't think about the alternatives, you'll not know for sure the winners are the best. Or you might not think of the winner initially, so you end up with a lesser solution. Thinking is good, as long as you're not paralyzed by it.

Latest posts

Back