Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting my first juice buckets in this week, an Amerone and one Valpolicella. Other than the basic things we usually add that comes in the kits, what other tweaks might I try with the Amerone and Valpolicella juice buckets?
On this thread I've read adding 1 cup of raisins in primary. I believe Valpolicella has similar qualities to the Amerone? I appreciate any of your suggestions.

see if this helps, any or all of these will give you that old world structure and taste.
On the other hand the Valpolicella, I would add 16 ozs. of fresh blackberries, then follow with the same tweaks as the Amerone without the rasinis,NICE.
you wont really taste the berries but the frame work will love it.
on the Amerone abv around 14/15%......on the Val,12/13 %

Attachments

• 9 Oak.jpg
    9 Oak.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 23
  • dextrose pics (1).jpg
    dextrose pics (1).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 22
  • dextrose pics (2).jpg
    dextrose pics (2).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1 amarone straining raisins.jpg
    1 amarone straining raisins.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2 amarone racking 2.jpg
    2 amarone racking 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Very cool, always keep in mind, LESS IS MORE, when it comes to enhancements.
Have fun it's your wine.

Last edited:
Okay, looking for a bit of advice - I followed the instructions in my Wine Lovers Shiraz kit: re-racked from secondary (SG 0.994) and added K-meta and sorbate. The kit wants you to clear and bottle basically right away, but I prefer to let it bulk age for a few months. I know I'll need to dose with K-meta again before bottling, but what about the sorbate - will I need to re-dose? I added some wine raisins, blackberries and oak chips to the primary, and I'm thinking about adding a medium French oak spiral for bulk aging.

Potassium Sorbate is an add once kind of thing. I usually ignore the directions and wait to add it until nearer to bottling time, but what you did won't hurt. If you don't add anything with more sugar after fermentation completes, there is little need for Potassium Sorbate. That's a for the future information. I know the kits always include it. For dry wines, I always throw it away. K-Meta should be added at about the three month point, then again at six months.

Thanks! That's pretty much what I thought - was curious why they even included sorbate in the kit - now I know.
Sorbate is included in kits as a failsafe, to prevent folks from making a batch of mini-volcanos.

Even following the instructions carefully, beginners make mistakes, including misunderstanding the SG readings. Fermentation can stop for many reasons, only one of which that fermentation is complete. That is the expected answer, but it's not guaranteed.

Let's say fermentation of a planned dry red stops because of a sudden drop in temperature. Beginner assumes the fermentation is done, adds sorbate + K-meta, bulk ages 3 weeks, and bottles. The wine is not dry so the result is not optimal although perfectly drinkable -- BUT -- no renewed fermentation in the bottle, so 25-30 mini-volcanoes are averted! Mission accomplished!

I don't view kit instructions as optimal -- but they are not designed for me (experienced winemaker). They are designed for beginners to have a successful result on the first try, and I'm fully on board with that. :)

First, through out the used skins...don't use them. use only the new skins
1/2
cup of currents along with the 2 packs of oak and dried skins in the primary, save some oak for the secondary it will give you good structure and intense flavor.

be prepared to let is sit for at least 6 to 8 months, if you can. at about the second month I'd bottle it and let it finish out that way.

I don't view kit instructions as optimal -- but they are not designed for me (experienced winemaker). They are designed for beginners to have a successful result on the first try, and I'm fully on board with that. :)

Yep, makes perfect sense. I thought I'd do something different and follow the directions this time - at least sorta! ;)

something fruity come your way a PEACH BELLINI.. a real award winner.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 9
There's always a reason to buy a cheap kit, right? Well, here's an even better reason: Wine Lovers Online has a promotion that, unfortunately, ends today - buy 2 kits get a free starter kit. I think that's a great deal whether you're just starting out, or (like me) just want to add to your equipment inventory. I picked up 2 of their "medium-bodied" kits plus the starter kit for $119 with free shipping.

Just finish a pino nior and a there white blend for a customer of mine, they make a decent everyday wine.

Last edited:
I just received an RJS Raspberry Mocha dessert wine kit today. After searching on WMT, I've come up with the following plan and would appreciate any of your guy's suggestions:

In Primary, add 1 Quart or so of simple syrup, and 1 tsp tannins. In Secondary, a second tsp of tannins and 1 Tbs instant coffee.

This is basically what I did with the RJS Coffee Dessert Wine that we did @joeswine way (at least we tried to get close), and love how the coffee tastes more like chocolate as it ages. Then, @heatherd had commented previously that her recollection of doing this Raspberry Mocha kit was that the raspberry kind of overpowered the Mocha. So my thinking is the instant coffee can enhance the mocha flavor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I just received an RJS Raspberry Mocha dessert wine kit today. After searching on WMT, I've come up with the following plan and would appreciate any of your guy's suggestions:

In Primary, add 1 Quart or so of simple syrup, and 1 tsp tannins. In Secondary, a second tsp of tannins and 1 Tbs instant coffee.

This is basically what I did with the RJS Coffee Dessert Wine that we did @joeswine way (at least we tried to get close), and love how the coffee tastes more like chocolate as it ages. Then, @heatherd had commented previously that her recollection of doing this Raspberry Mocha kit was that the raspberry kind of overpowered the Mocha. So my thinking is the instant coffee can enhance the mocha flavor.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Another option that might be better is cold pressed coffee. I've used the Trader Joes cold pressed coffee a couple of times and it is absolutely delicious... all the wonderful smooth coffee flavor without the bitter.

ok ,this is how it went ,I bought the same kit and thought I was doing good ??
Net result , two fold, . First, by adding the instant coffee it over powered the balance,no other flavors was there to speak of.
What I did get was another pro-judges award for this blend at the Hammonton wine contest ,this year.
what I should have done was add some Raspberry Fpac to the mix and backsweeten in the end if needed only. Understand.

this would have given me what this kit was about , not how it finished.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back