Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adding grapefruit Zest, can be done anytime before bottling and yes adding wood to the secondary yields a soft effect to the finish, just remember a little goes a long way for a 6 or a 5 gallon batch1/2 a grapefruit.
then you'll know for the next time what taste profile you'll like zest adds a crisp or acidity to the finish.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 6
adding grapefruit Zest, can be done anytime before bottling and yes adding wood to the secondary yields a soft effect to the finish, just remember a little goes a long way for a 6 or a 5 gallon batch1/2 a grapefruit.
then you'll know for the next time what taste profile you'll like zest adds a crisp or acidity to the finish.
Thank so much Joe. I did add the grapefruit zest. Going to let it stay for a week and then add oak. Only then I'll clear it.

BTW, have ever added anything to red wine, like coffee beans, etc? And if so, what and how much? Let's say a 6 gallon batch.

BTW, have ever added anything to red wine, like coffee beans, etc? And if so, what and how much? Let's say a 6 gallon batch.

I just sampled a Bourbon Oaked Trinity red that I added heavy toasted oak cubed soaked in 101 Wild Turkey.... too much going in the bottle. The other night we tried it again at one year it was very good! I hope some lasts for a few more years.
I've added instant coffee, peach puree, and any number of other flavorings. and the one thing I leaned from Joe.... a little goes a long way. it so easy to add, and impossible to remove. I have Tempranilo that I thought would benefit from a dash of vanilla extract...the dash turned into more of a GLUG GLUG and now 2 years old, it still reminds me of a cherry Coke.

This thread has continued to grow every month. Thanks to all of you who have contributed with your Tweaking Cheap Wine Kits.

Instant coffee in the primary, with any of the reds works well.
1 tablespoon per 5/6 gallon batch ,light oak in the primary and 1/2 teaspoon of tannins in the secondary, the key is you must let it sit for at least 6 mos. Then bottle.
Time is the key to this one.

I just sampled a Bourbon Oaked Trinity red that I added heavy toasted oak cubed soaked in 101 Wild Turkey.... too much going in the bottle. The other night we tried it again at one year it was very good! I hope some lasts for a few more years.
I've added instant coffee, peach puree, and any number of other flavorings. and the one thing I leaned from Joe.... a little goes a long way. it so easy to add, and impossible to remove. I have Tempranilo that I thought would benefit from a dash of vanilla extract...the dash turned into more of a GLUG GLUG and now 2 years old, it still reminds me of a cherry Coke.
I'd like to experiment with different things, but I'd like some guidance too.

I'd like to experiment with different things, but I'd like some guidance too.

change is good.jpg

All jokes aside, I fully agree. When I'm risking 5+ gallons of wine, I want to have a lot of confidence that the final result will be acceptable.

Risking a gallon? For me that's acceptable, but in relation to the amount I make each year, it's minor. I can always use 5 bottles of cooking wine if things don't go well.

To reduce risk when experimenting, get five gallon/4 liter jugs, plus smaller containers for remaining topup wine. Perform experiments by the jug, which allows doing 5 different experiments at once.

A Bit Of an Experiment with Rhubarb fpac.
I had success with a light-bodied (7%) Wine Lovers Zinfandel Blush that I added a raspberry fpac (16 oz.) to the primary. So, I've started the exact same kit with a 16 oz rhubarb fpac into the primary. I shorted the 6 gallon kit to 5 gallons and added some simple syrup until the starting SG was 1.085. Three days after pitching the yeast I detected some slight rotten egg smell so after researching this site decided to add 3 grams of Fermade K which I had on hand. Some suggested Fermaid O but I used what I had and the smell has gone away. That is where I'm at tonight with an SG of 1.031. View attachment 74825

Going forward, my plan is to add some rhubarb juice to secondary to accentuate some of that flavor. I had back sweetened some of the bottles I made with raspberry so I'm guessing I'll sweeten some of these bottles too, after tasting, then leaving some dry to see how they progress.

I'd welcome your suggestions or thoughts on my plan. This is my first use of rhubarb so figure I might learn a few things through this process before starting my batch of rhubarb wine that we got from the garden.
I have only made Rhubarb wine from fresh rhubarb, so I can't comment on using a kit, then adding rhubarb TO that kit. My rhubarb came out tasting wonderful. My only comment is that it did take a long time to clear, and to create that "clearing" I used old-fashioned ground-up eggshells. That said, the eggshells worked, the wine tasted great, and right now I am awaiting a fresh batch of rhubarb from a neighbor's garden to ferment #2 rhubarb. Good Luck in your search for the perfect rhubarb wine..........................................DizzyIzzy

any time you make wine the results can be risky, however starting with know factures especially the base wines teste profile is the key to making wines tweaked or knot. with grapes or with fruit it doesn't really matter or straight up.
You control; the process , first have a plan then work it.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 13
  • 1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg
    1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 4 change colors - Copy (2).jpg
    4 change colors - Copy (2).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20140828_155701685 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140828_155701685 - Copy.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy (2).jpg
    IMG_20141023_155351280 - Copy (2).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170227_153112647.jpg
    IMG_20170227_153112647.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 14
SOMETHING FUN FOR THE SUMMER , a real winner with fresh peaches .

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 26
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
@joeswine do you always recommend simmering the fresh/frozen&thawed fruits for fpac additions?

Also....do you let the simmered fruits cool completely b4 adding to juice?

Thanks & Cheers! ✌

Yes , it starts to bring out the natural flavors of the fruit. Once soften just add directly to the base. DONE.

Hey @joeswine I don't know if this has been answered before but do you add regular tap water to your kits. I just got the malbec from costco on sale and added campden to my water but didn't know if you used bottled water or boiled some. Thanks for the info.

I don't use tap or well water even though i have a well and its filtered I've always use spring water ,nothing else, that's just my way. have any plans for your MALBAC?

I don't use tap or well water even though i have a well and its filtered I've always use spring water ,nothing else, that's just my way. have any plans for your MALBAC?
Just FYI, Norther Brewer is selling wine kits for 19% off for a few days and free shipping over $40.

Did you keep notes on the Bourbon soaked oak cubes you added? If so, care to share details? I have some medium toast oak cubes soaking in Bourbon now and have been looking online for "trail marks" so to speak to guide me on how much to use. TIA

Thanks for the reply joe. I have lots of raspberries so I'll give your boil the fpac a try even though this goes against what I have done as a country winemaker. I'm going to oak in primary and try a tsp of instant coffee and add the 16 oz of raspberry. I'll also add oak in secondary though I could use some powdered tanin. Not sure if I will use the supplied ec1118.
I will also say this double kit was $64 canadian (on sale). If the wine is drinkable or better that will be a huge win for the price.

On another note, my first kit was a rjs 12l chile cab merlot with skins and oak earlier this year. I used bentonite but not the chitosan and kiesosol? It tastes good but you can't see through it. I'm going to wait it out but hope it clears.

Saute the fruit not boil,correct.
If b your having problems with clearing an additional tablespoon of pectin emzym will clear it

Latest posts

Back