Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something on the White side of the grape.. CHEAP WINE KITS.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 29
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 27
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 27
PHASE#2..these kits you can experiment with and create your own version of wine styles.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180219_120113009.jpg
    IMG_20180219_120113009.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
Regarding "best wine kit of america" on Amazon...I haven't tried it but I can't even find it on Amazon. Can you post the exact link? I'm curious to look into it. We are currently making two cheap Fontana kits we got on Amazon and I'm looking into buying another cheap kit by a different company for comparison.

There all about the same, all the bases are concentrates, let your hydrometer be your guide, and this of using an fpac also to build the structure .

We are currently making two cheap Fontana kits we got on Amazon and I'm looking into buying another cheap kit by a different company for comparison.
They may all be from the same manufacturer. The last Fontana kits off Amazon were from ABC Cork Co., Canada.

tonight I put into final stages of clearing a Fontana Pinot Noir and a Wild Grapes Pinot Grigio, these were both done for Carol tom's wife remember him??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 41
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 40
Phase#2 this is just an example.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 37
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 38
Wanted to report back on one of @joeswine recipes from this thread. It is a good early drinker.
Used WineLovers Zinfandel Blush 7% light bodied kit. Who in their right mind would buy a 7% kit you ask? Total cost with free shipping and $5 discount was $45. Added a fresh raspberry f-pac and simple syrup, and only added water to make a 5 gallon batch instead of 6 gallon which raised the potential ABV to 12.36%.
I followed the kit directions the rest of the way pretty much.
Racked 16 days later added kit stuff and degassed with drill and attachment.
Bottled on day 23 and wanted to compare dry vs back sweetened So we bottled 10 dry and 15 bottles back sweetened with simple syrup. We did some trials for this to get the sugar level to where we liked it (then backed off a little as we've read on this sight that it may taste a little fruitier/sweeter as it ages. The dry one tasted a bit harsh still so it will need more time to be good.
Here are some photos along the way:
IMG_2206.jpegThe cheap kit. IMG_2209.jpegWith the raspberry f-pac floating on top.IMG_2262.jpegA little blip along the way. I think I bumped this carboy a little too hard on the floor and when I added the warm liquid to a cool carboy, it must have cracked. Caught it in time, so not much loss. IMG_2259.jpegIMG_2315.jpegLooking clear. IMG_1004.jpegFinal goof, I got some lees/raspberry parts sucked in and didn't notice in time. Solution? I let it settle and will filter with a coffee filter as needed when we drink it. Here's what it looked like tonight:IMG_2339.jpegThanks Joe for your advice and thanks for reading.

As a rule I always follow the chem. instructions even thought I tweak the entire pack my why, it keeps me honest.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread! Ive been reading this over the last 3 days. I picked up a cheaper (WE Sauvignon Blanc) for the wine and summer sipping. Picked up the kit from the LHBS for ~75 I think. Kit still seems more expensive than the $45-60 that some are referencing on the thread, but not as expensive as the WE lodi ranch 11 Cab kit I purchased 2 months ago (hopefully bottle next weekend).

Plan for the sauvignon blanc is as follows:

Winexpert 4 week Sauvignon Blanc

keep at 6 gallons-- maybe drop to 5.5
Will check SG and may boost a bit via simple syrup-- but will check via hydrometer. Can I bump this to >1.100? Kit instructions say target is only 1.070-1.097
EC1118 yeast

Wife like dry wine-- would a peach fpac help build body and mouth feel without adding too much fruit taste? add in 1 tsp of pectic enzyme to help reduce haze
have grapefruit to zest in as well--- 1 TBS in secondary to increase crisp zing

Would love to hear your thoughts before this next weekend.

Thanks in advance

were up to 401k views and growing.
SB with the peach it adds softness, adding the grapefruit zest adds acidity excellent for all the whites, (add 1/2 of a grapefruit ) or 2 tablespoons full to the primary.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 15
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
Walker's Wine Juices-- I read on this thread that @joeswine has ordered from them. He detailed the tweaks he made for Pear and Cranberry. We're getting low on our Blueberry Wine supply and would like to try Walker's. Any suggestions for tweaks on the Blueberry juice hot-packs they sell? Thanks.

Any fruit juice you buy from Walkers will be just fine.
I myself have never had any luck with Blueberries turning them into wine that
s just me, However if you followed their basic process and added a blueberry Fpac to the secondary that should cure any down sides and create a great finish to the wine keeping the SG to around 8% very fruity at 10% better wine balance. understand.

Attachments

• 1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg
    1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 6
When I have used a kit it calls for topping off with water before the first fermentation. Do you never use a hard cover with a water block (?) ? Is there a problem if you have 4 inches of space above the juice (must)?
I have made 2 kits and complain about lack of body and flavor.
Thanks!!

Any fruit juice you buy from Walkers will be just fine.
I myself have never had any luck with Blueberries turning them into wine that
s just me, However if you followed their basic process and added a blueberry Fpac to the secondary that should cure any down sides and create a great finish to the wine keeping the SG to around 8% very fruity at 10% better wine balance. understand.
Thanks Joe. We'll shoot for the 10%. I noticed you added a quart of simple syrup to the cranberry. I'm assuming I let my hydrometer guide me as to whether I need to add any simple syrup or not.
After reading this entire thread from start to finish over the past few days, I have several pages of notes, and more on my wine-making to-do list than time. Having great fun though!

Back