Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it RocketBee ..even then it will verry a little bit.
The grapes add solid structure to the body, they'll also all a bit more to the ABV. The grapefruit zest should when all's said and done add a crispness to the finish in the form of acidity.

Remember this will also add more time to the clearing process and time is our friend.

Has any of you suggestions for tweaking a WE Blood Orange Sangria kit? I started it yesterday and wondered if something could be added to increase flavor and mouthfeel? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

I usually never us a 6 gallon mark to start unless it's and high end kit and that can be suspect to change. I let my hydrometer be my guide to where I want to start with ABV and residual sugar levels.
other than that it's wine time.

Yesterday I started 3kits a wine lovers white Sangria brought the SG up to 10% to the mix I added half of the fpac and the zest of one small tangerine.
Second kit was a WE pino noir,SG at 12% to the mix I added blackberries 16ozs. And tannin powder 1tablespoon.
Lastly, RQ Spanish Rose, to whitch I add dried cherries 9ozs. And had an SG of 12%.
The basement smells great.

I have a tweak to make a cheap "fake rose'. The kits I use is not available in the US, but there are available similarities. I use half of a 6 ltr golden riesling kit and half of a kit named orginal white wine 5ltr. It is probably a blend with no distinct character. Both halves is put in two different fermenting buckets so I have two buckets filled for 23 liters of wine. In each of them I put in half of a grape fruit-zest after about day 4 fermenting. The buckets I use for 23 liters take 30 liters. I also make a cheap red kit named original red 5ltr for 23 liter. In this kit i put 3 bags of frozen blueberry 400grams, 1 bag blackberry 400 geam and 1 bag of raspberry 400 gram. Maybe strawberry would be better, not tried yet. The berries heated and mashed, with a little red wine when heating. Then some kmeta and stiring after cooling to 30c. Pectic enzyme in 20 hours then into the red kit in a bag. After the two mixed whites are stabilized and clear i blend in about two bottles of the berry-mixed red in each of them. I normally make 20 liter of 23 liter kits so reduce water added. The result of this "odd rose'" is a really good wine that matches with everything. I use it to grill food, fish, crabs and shellfish, bird and pig, asian food etc. Also really good as a cold drink without food. I think sg at the end is best about .995-.997. Just use cheap kits without any distinct character. The berries and the grapefruit zest will do whats needed. The red to blend with I often have in 3 liter bags from a batch made before. Then its perfect amount to use in 2 white mixes to make a "rose' ".

To many different items ,but if you enjoy it what can I say, enjoy.
Remember that even a Rose' has a natural profile, which can differ , still a profile.

I see your thoughts Joe, but it is not like it looks based of the varieties. Blueberrys in this amount is not noticable. They just give color and body and accompany the main juice well. 400 gr of blackberry an raspberry is also too small to make a distinct flavour of its own. They just give the grapejuice a freshness and a subtle more personality that do the wine well. It is not only me, everybody that tasted the wine loves it. Also some friends that are very picky and exclusive in their wine taste, and almost always buy expensive wines loves it. They would not believe that I have made it myself. One of them that tasted my winexpert selection amarone last year was not impressed, but really loved this wine. He said he had not tasted a rose better than this under about $20. I think that is a good example of saving money and still drink really good wine. It cost me about $48 to make 21 liters. I am happy with that.

So you use the Berries for color not taste, ok I can buy that,the grapefruit adds good acidity over all , now it makes sense.

Not only for the color, lets say 50-50. The berries give a subtle more fruity taste and a synergy that lets the juice be something new. Could remind of a rose' made of pinot noir I tasted back in time.

It all depends on the volume of fruit , grapes,etc, that are applied to the primary if you use them in the secondary then they become a back ground flavors.

I agree. Both the grapefruit zest and the berries i introduce in the primary, but I put them in after or the end of the most frenetic fermentation. Day 4 or 5 normally. That keeps the freshness of the additives and still makes them well integrated.

To each there own process, with me ,all gets entered in the beginning that's were my process starts ,the fermentation does the rest .

Rose'

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 4.jpg