Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question is this a kit or berries?
If a kit then use your hydrometer to lesson the adv that then will increase your residual sugar.
If your making from berries then first complete the process and add simple syrup as you stated , keep it simple.
When I did mine o used a kit added my fpac then had to back sweeten anyway. Bottled it this week and it came out just right.
Don't be haste to do. Less is more .

Last edited:
Here's my "kit-bashing" plan for the Fontana Chardonnay kit which I received on Saturday. Thanks go to you @joeswine for starting this great resource on "tweeking" kits and also @Ron0126 for answering my questions.

1. Stir bentonite package in 2 cups hot water until completely dissolved
2. Add in concentrated juice from kit and rinse out bag into fermenter
3. Add in 1 cup of medium toast French oak
4. Slowly add water, stirring till S.G. is 1.090-1.095 (12-12.5% potential alcohol), probably up to 5.5 gallons
5. Add in peach Fpack (12 ounces of peaches sautéed in 1 cup of base wine)
6. Add in zest of 1/2 of a grapefruit
7. Sprinkle included EC-1118 yeast atop mixture
8. Degas mixture twice per day
9. Rack to secondary after primary fermentation is complete
10. Check taste, add more zest of grapefruit if necessary
11. Add 1/2 Tablespoon of wine tannins
12. Follow kit instructions for remainder except likely to bulk-age for 3 months or more

Please provide any feedback, especially if you see me headed for a train wreck.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1, either add the fpac or zest but not both.
2,once you've sprinkled in the yeast do not disturbe let it do it's own thing..
3, keep to the balance of the plan.and keep us informed.

add the fpac or zest in the primary but not both,got it! You chose which to use.
No degassing at the end of primary.
When you transfer to the secondary ( carboy) allow the wine to sit for two weeks,each day shake the carboy gentle back and forth ,6 or 7 times to gently degas, this is a 2 week process twice a day if you can.
3rd week transfer to a bucket or clean carboy then add your chems and clearing agents.
Note; if you choice to use the fpac no it will take longer to clear, time is on your side. understand?

Got the Fontana Chardonnay going last night, I did everything listed above in my except I eliminated the grapefruit zest and I won't be degassing as noted in #8. Everything looks good and has a pleasant "yeasty" aroma, the yeast was pitched a little over 24 hours and looks like this:24 hours after yeast pitched.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes less is more, and they'll come times when more is needed ,but not now.

Started a Fontana cabernet sauvignon about 2 1/2 weeks ago. From previous kits I knew it takes 5-6 cups sugar to bring the final product up to 1.1 (12.5-13%) alcohol. Intending to use a 2 cup measure, I started to put in 3 full cups. By mistake I had picked up a 4 cup measure and didn't catch my mistake until I had put in 8 cups of sugar. I was afraid that would be way too much alcohol for the amount of juice so I thought maybe adding raisins might add more body and flavor. I put in 1 1/2 lb of chopped raisins. Success! Secondary is finished and stabilized. I just had a taste and it has much more body and better flavor than any of my previous Fontana CS and shiraz kits. The color is more intense also. I'll be adding raisins to future kits.

3 days after yeast pitch.jpg Chardonnay update...three days after yeast pitched. The oak is popping through in places and the bubbles look like marshmallows. Resisting the urge to punch down the cap...has a very pleasant fragrance.

Last edited:
Back