Tweeking a kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meant to put this in here, but put it in another topic on the forum yesterday. Not exactly a kit, but still in the 5 to 6 gallon range. Just got my Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and juice(helped with the picking) from 20+ year old Texas hill country vines. Optical measure of sugar is 25.8 Brix, Ph is 3.6 and Sp Grav. 1.101. I checked these with my instruments at home and they read close enough to the ones at the winery. Juice with grapes some stems, etc. in the primary fermenter with water lock and pitched pre-hydrated 1118 yeast last night. Will let it sit for a week or two, but keep track of the fermentation every few days, and stir up the grapes, bits of stems, and other debris. Then a few weeks of MLF and more weeks of racking before putting it into a 20 liter French oak barrel for a few years. Should be a fun experiment. Will report as progress (Ihope) continues.

Was thinking of putting them in nylon bag, mashing with patatoe masher, adding a camden tablet (to prevent stray yeast). Pour the kit right over it, let sit a day. then add yeast. Stir it once a day for next few days then remove, squeeze it out and continue with kit instructions. Sound about right?
That sounds like a good plan. Depending on the Brix of your kit, you might get away with pouring some boiled water on the contents in the bag before adding to your kit. Just as another line of defence against lurking randoms. But also stick with the k-meta as your second line if defence.

Meant to put this in here, but put it in another topic on the forum yesterday. Not exactly a kit, but still in the 5 to 6 gallon range. Just got my Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and juice(helped with the picking) from 20+ year old Texas hill country vines. Optical measure of sugar is 25.8 Brix, Ph is 3.6 and Sp Grav. 1.101. I checked these with my instruments at home and they read close enough to the ones at the winery. Juice with grapes some stems, etc. in the primary fermenter with water lock and pitched pre-hydrated 1118 yeast last night. Will let it sit for a week or two, but keep track of the fermentation every few days, and stir up the grapes, bits of stems, and other debris. Then a few weeks of MLF and more weeks of racking before putting it into a 20 liter French oak barrel for a few years. Should be a fun experiment. Will report as progress (Ihope) continues.
You must be pleased with the Brix and pH levels. Good one.

Yes, this should turn out great if everything goes right. No tweaking on this as it is my first from raw juice and fruit. Will keep it a varietal all the way. It is currently bubbling away and tomorrow I will stir the bottom to keep the fruit in there moving. I did pull about 1/2 gallon of grapes etc. out and froze it. Will re-add that in the secondary fermentation just to get as much body as possible. Had to pull it because the primary fermenter was also the transport and was filled to the brim. No instructions with this, will just take my time with it.

Back