WineXpert Tweaks Wanted - 16L Selection French Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I bought this kit off the sale rack and was looking to try out different stuff. The description given does not shed much light on the different flavors. I have never made a Rosé kit before and its not something I would buy.

"With characteristics of both red and white wines, our crisp, off-dry Selection French Rosé is the perfect pairing for any meal. This versatile wine goes well with lighter dishes like salads and cheese, but can also stand up to spicy red meats from the grill."

I contacted WE and didn't get much more information

"The French Rose will deliver a crisp, fruity, off-dry rosé."

It came with about a 2 1/2 to 3 cup F-Pack. I will be adding 2/3 of that up front as we prefer dry wines.

Joeswine got me to try zesting so I was thinking of the zest of 2 grapefruits in the secondary for 3 weeks.

Anyone else with suggestions? Thx

No suggestions, but I just started this kit and am ready to stabilize it next week. I thought it tasted pretty good straight from the primary. Reminded me of the rose's my wife and I drank regularly 30 years ago. We have not drank much Rose recently, so this should be interesting.

I've made this particular kit, and it's not really what I would call sweet with the f-pack added entirely (I am not a fan of overtly sweet wines by any means). The flavor isn't atypical for a rose...it's fruity (strawberry/red fruit/hint of melon) with noticeable acidity. The body is on the lighter side. Fairly easy to drink especially when it is warmer (which is really the best time to have rose style wines). It's mostly based on Gamay grapes from what I understand.

I personally would be hesitant to add most or all of the f-pack up front mostly because of hit or miss experiences with dry rose style wines. I've had some that are downright awful and needed at least a little backsweetening to cover the overpowering acidity. One in particular tasted like sour candy had been left in water for a short period of time. You could switch out the yeast for one that is known to be used in rose wines (D47 or 71B-1122) come to mind.

Thx for the info on the F-pack. Good to hear that it's not too sweet.

This one will be ready for next years patio season.

cheers

Another nice thing is that you can easily find some decent dry rose wines for topping off without spending all that much money. I topped mine off with a Rhone rose blend that I believe cost 5-6 bucks a bottle.

Might be 5-6 in your country but they love to tax us to death up here. It has been years since i have purchased any commercial wine and i doubt you can even get a bad bottle for under $10.

cheers

Back