Tweaking WE Eclipse Bourbon Barrel Zin-Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regmata

Reaction score
I was thinking about messing around with this kit just a wee bit and was hoping for suggestions.

I have en route tannins for both primary and secondary fermentation. It seems people often recommend adding tannins to red kits to enhance them. However, this kit comes with both oak chips and bourbon barrel oak cups. Would adding additional tannins be redundant or risk too much tannins? I started the kit today, so if I do go ahead, I would probably simply wait until the secondary stage and add the appropriate one then.

Being new to wine making and this being my first red, I hadn't planned on being any more adventurous than this. However, I am open to suggestion. Any other ideas of how to enhance this kit? Or...should I just trust WE and leave it alone?

Thanks

I was thinking about messing around with this kit just a wee bit and was hoping for suggestions.

I have en route tannins for both primary and secondary fermentation. It seems people often recommend adding tannins to red kits to enhance them. However, this kit comes with both oak chips and bourbon barrel oak cups. Would adding additional tannins be redundant or risk too much tannins? I started the kit today, so if I do go ahead, I would probably simply wait until the secondary stage and add the appropriate one then.

Being new to wine making and this being my first red, I hadn't planned on being any more adventurous than this. However, I am open to suggestion. Any other ideas of how to enhance this kit? Or...should I just trust WE and leave it alone?

Thanks

These are typically pretty good kits as is. Tannins are one of the things that folks have played with on these type kits, so don't be afraid to move forward with it. You should consider, given the quantity of chips, waiting until the wine has cleared and aged a bit before adding tannins, and try some finishing tannins at this stage, to avoid adding too much by doing it early in the process when the wine is still very green.

I saved all of the included bourbon barrel oak for during bulk aging, used medium toast french oak chips (about 60 g) to supply tannins during the ferment. Also doing an extended maceration on this kit.

Latest posts

Back