Tweaking kit wine with fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocha

Reaction score
I have been making wine for 7 or so years, I started by making fruit wines but then converted to kits. I make about 6 kits a year, mostly wine expert and island mist adding sugar to bring my sg to 1.09, I recently had an epic battle with the raspberry peach sangria, I couldn't taste any peach, so I purchased wine flavor additives, tasted chemical fake, my question is can you add real fruit to wine kits in primary fermentation to add some fruit flavors to your wines, such as blackberries or peaches? Would you need to add pectin enzyme as Well? Anyone done this with success?

sure you can add fruit to your wines. If you add them at the start if you hit them with pectic enzyme it will help break the fruit down and probably bring out more fruit flavor. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thank you, I love the way my kit wines come out but some of the island mist kits taste artificial, I was apprehensive about ruining a 30 bottle kit experimenting without asking first! I can't wait to get started, but first I've got to try the new island mist mango mai tai that I got yesterday, that sounds like a nice august sipper by the poolside

Just curious - how long after fermenting until it tasted yummy? :)

Only about a month, honestly. I’ve had wines that take much, much longer to get to the tasty point - if ever. This tastes drinkable now - but I’m waiting like a good little vintner, because it’s also so, so young and it will get even better!

I have been making wine for 7 or so years, I started by making fruit wines but then converted to kits. I make about 6 kits a year, mostly wine expert and island mist adding sugar to bring my sg to 1.09, I recently had an epic battle with the raspberry peach sangria, I couldn't taste any peach, so I purchased wine flavor additives, tasted chemical fake, my question is can you add real fruit to wine kits in primary fermentation to add some fruit flavors to your wines, such as blackberries or peaches? Would you need to add pectin enzyme as Well? Anyone done this with success?

Put them in a nylon and agitate them (Squish) every second day during fermentation and then clear as per usual

Latest posts

Back