WineXpert Tweaking Island Mist Naughty Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
I bought an Island Mist Naughty Merlot kit about 2 years ago. Time flew by and yesterday I found the kit again, tucked in a dry, dark corner of my storage room. I also found a 44 ounce can of Sun Country Merlot concentrate. Not wanting to waste them, I decided to forge ahead and make the kit with a couple of minor changes.

I used the canned concentrate in primary in place of some of the water, 5 gallons of water, roughly half the fpac as well and plan to add a teaspoon or two of tannin and the rest of the fpac in secondary. I did use the EC-1118 yeast from the kit as the expiration is May 2018 and sprinkled in a newer package of EC-1118 just in case the older yeast is no longer viable .

So far everything smells delicious and is progressing nicely. The SG was a bit high at 1.10. The yeast is fizzing along.

Anything else I ought do or suggestions for secondary?

Thanks in advance!

Quick update: hyrometer reading is .996 this morning. I plan to rack to secondary today. The fragrance of the wine is fantastic, very rich and fruity.

If it's a 5 or six gallon kit, less is more, understand?
Sounds like it's a plan hopefully it's not too sweet.
Keep thinking outside the box.jp

Latest posts

Back