Turkeys in vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDirttoo

Junior
Reaction score
Help!!!

First it was the deer….solved the deer problem.

Then raccoons…..solved!

Now I have turkeys eating my grapes. Any suggestions to keep turkeys from damaging my grapes?

Take them, they’re delicious! I’d have done the same with the deer though. Raccoons can be too, but to a very slightly lesser extent.

If I may ask, how did you solve the raccoon problem? I have everything covered with bird nets, with “outriggers “ to hold the net away from the grapes, and they walk down the row and lean against the net enough to push it flush and nibble the grapes….I think next year I’ll get over the top bee netting, they won’t be able to eat thru the net holes. I just discovered raccoon cuffs, may try that.

If I may ask, how did you solve the raccoon problem? I have everything covered with bird nets, with “outriggers “ to hold the net away from the grapes, and they walk down the row and lean against the net enough to push it flush and nibble the grapes….I think next year I’ll get over the top bee netting, they won’t be able to eat thru the net holes. I just discovered raccoon cuffs, may try that.
Coon cuffs are good pet-proof traps. To keep them out you need a mesh fence with an electric wire to keep them from climbing it

I’m not JoeDirttoo but the only thing that can stop or slow raccoons is electric fence. I’ve read that bird netting alone won’t stop them. I put up electric fence netting and still had to tack the bottom edge down. So far it has worked.

I’m not JoeDirttoo but the only thing that can stop or slow raccoons is electric fence. I’ve read that bird netting alone won’t stop them. I put up electric fence netting and still had to tack the bottom edge down. So far it has worked.
I’m not surprised, coons are extremely intelligent, true thinkers!

Does bird netting work for turkeys too? If it’s fenced up a dog in there. At least turkeys aren’t a problem at night!

In my experience, their pea sized brains are sophisticated enough for them to walk and wiggle into the net from the ground, but they are not smart enough to figure out how to get out.

I staple my nets to the ground with lawn staples. Perhaps another strategy would work.

H

If a raccoon wants to get in, your netting will provide little deterrence. They will find a way under or go through. I’ve seen large ones tear apart a commercial wire box trap and escape! They are very smart and very strong.

Back