turbo yeast, can you use it in making wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of wine? Since Turbo Yeast is considerably more expensive than wine yeast, I would wonder why.

Steve

8 quarts 100% Welch's Concord Grapes Juice, 15

8 quarts 100% Welch's Concord Grapes Juice, 15 lbs. cane
sugar in 4 1/2 gallons of well water.... turbo yeast... ??? :cool:

I have used Turbo yeast in an experiment with elderberries.

First let me explain that turbo yeast is a special yeast that will ferment in depending on the kind of turbo yeast from 24 hours to a few days. I will yield high alcohol (20%) and is mainly used for fermenting sugar with water to a high alcohol gunk ready for distilling.
On the recipe it tells that you only add sugar and water, so all the nutrients and other additions will be in the package (no mention of sulphite though).

After fermenting you should treat the must with active carbon to get rid of the OFF TASTES. and there is the problem.
This makes this yeast a no go area for winmakers.

Now for my personal experience.
I have used it with elderberries because I wanted to make a high alcohol wine and thought the heavy tannins and taste of elderberries would cover the off-taste. Well believe me it does not. It definately tasted different as all the elderberry wines I made before. In the first weeks it was undrinkable. I would have dumped it if my girlfriend did not tell me to wait.
After a few weeks it got better, and after months it was drinkable.
Even later it was kind of good but surely had a taste we never experienced before.

Try for yourself with a small batch if the fruit you are going to use works with turbo yeast for your purposes. I would not start a whole batch directly with it before experimenting.

Luc

How do you treat the wine with carbon?

How do you treat the wine with carbon?

OK, now I see why you want to use Turbo Yeast. If it ferments down to .995, you've got 19% alcohol. Pretty Big IF, I suspect.

Steve

Mike:

I used a slightly conservative formula and some wines will ferment lower than .995. So you MIGHT make 20%.

Steve

From what i've read turbo yeast is purely for the distiller/liqueur market. They seem to work with dextrose solution to ferment out to 20%ABV and then you either distill (if legal to do so in your country) or add flavouring mixes to get your liqueur. They don't work well in wines.

8 quarts 100% Welch's Concord Grapes Juice, 15

8 quarts 100% Welch's Concord Grapes Juice, 15 lbs. cane
sugar in 4 1/2 gallons of well water.... turbo yeast... ??? :cool:
Seems like alot of sugar. I think a gallon of Welch's has like 2 pounds of sugar already.

Seems like alot of sugar. I think a gallon of Welch's has like 2 pounds of sugar already.
Welcome to WMT Nathan. You can introduce yourself in a new post.

FYI you are replying to a 16 year old post! Post necromancy can be appropriate but the original posters haven’t been seen about these parts for a long time.

Back