Trying to get recommended starting SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbuck

Reaction score
I just started my third batch even though I haven't bottled my first yet. I know the more info I provide the better you will be able to answer my question so at the risk of having everyone doze off while reading the recipe is as follows. 3.5 lbs. strawberrys, 7pts. water, 2 lb. sugar, 1 tsp. acid blend, 1/4 tsp tannin blend, 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 tsp nutrient, 1 crushed campden, 1 pkg wine yeast. After crushing the berries in the straining bag I added all the other items with the exception of the yeast as directed. The recipe indicates I should have a starting SG of 1.090 - 1,095 however a reading indicated my SG to be 1.060. I began adding sugar untill the SG finally did reach 1.080 but have added 1/2 lb. sugar more than called for. Should I add more sugar, let it sit over night and take another SG, or do something else? Also considering the above would Lalvin EC-1118 be an acctptable yeast for this recipe, it's what I have on hand but could make a run to the supply store tomorrow before it's time to pitch. I almost forgot to mention I did allow for the Temp. calabration of the hydrometer.Thanks for all your guidance thus far.

The amount of sugar you have to add can vary quite a bit depending on your fruits' sugar content. Waiting overnight is not a bad idea if you are adding sugar as it might not have all dissolved or been released from the fruit.

How are you adding sugar? if you are just dumping in sugar then it most likely isnt getting dissolved and you are getting a false low reading. On another note the amount fo starwberries you hav e added is very low fior thuis type of wine so Im guessing you pulled this recipe off another website. This will produce a very weak flavored wine. I would do at least 8 lbs per gallon on strawberries myself.

How are you adding sugar? if you are just dumping in sugar then it most likely isn't getting dissolved and you are getting a false low reading. On another note the amount of strawberries you have added is very low for this type of wine so I'm guessing you pulled this recipe off another website. This will produce a very weak flavored wine. I would do at least 8 lbs per gallon on strawberries myself.

Wade would JBuck have been better off if he would have took a pint or two of water and brought it to a boil and dissolved his sugar into that before adding it to the rest of the ingredients

Yes, thats the way it should be done, with just about anything it should be dissolved fiorst before adding to wine like sorbate and kmeta and especially campden tablets cause they have fillers to hold them together and dont dissolve as easy. Sugar can sit on the bottom therefore giving you a false low reading. This is what happens a lot and then people come on here after stirring much late and say my gravity went up!

How are you adding sugar? if you are just dumping in sugar then it most likely isnt getting dissolved and you are getting a false low reading. On another note the amount fo starwberries you hav e added is very low fior thuis type of wine so Im guessing you pulled this recipe off another website. This will produce a very weak flavored wine. I would do at least 8 lbs per gallon on strawberries myself.

Actually Wade. the recipe was from the Winemaker's Recipe Handbook that came with the equipment kit I purchased from a well recommended retailer on this site. I did not realize the proper way to introduce the sugar was to add it to part of the water and heat, I will do this in the future, I have not been just dumping it in but more like sprinkling in on the surface while stiring. Any suggestions about how to increase the flavor at this stage and do you think the LALVIN EC-1118 yeast is acceptable for this recipe? Thanks for all your guidance thus far.

Latest posts

Back