WineXpert Trying to decide ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron0126

30 batches my first year, still learning
Reaction score
Which would you chose from WineXpert Selection:

Chilean Carmenere or Italian Montepulciano (they're the same price at LP). Plan to order a grape skin pack from Juice Grape as well since neither include one.

Five hours later, 51 views, no opinions?
I think I'll have a glass of lemon-lime Skeeter Pee whilst I wait for someone to chime in!

I realize this isn't a direct answer to your question, but based on past experience I'd recommend going with the best kit you can, one that already comes with a grape pack.

I haven't made either of those, but I did make the CC Showcase Carmenere (came with skins), and when I bottled it in May at 5 months old, I already loved it. If the WE Selections with added skins can compare, and you like oaky merlots (how Total Wine describes Carmenere), then that one might be tasty.

I haven't tried a Montepulciano before, so I have no opinion on that.

Me, I'd go with the Italian Montepulciano. Why? Because I'm now drinking the WE Chilian Carmenere (which I do like) and would like try a wine I haven't yet tasted.

BTW, both wines are written and video reviewed. The reviews can be accessed on the LP site.

Last edited:
Me, I'd go with the Italian Montepulciano. Why? Because I'm now drinking the WE Chilian Carmenere (which I do like) and would like try a wine I haven't yet tasted.

BTW, both wines are written and video reviewed. The reviews can be accessed on the LP site.

Yeah, I've seen those and will buy from LP.
I have the carboys so I may buy both ... :db

I'd go for Lodi Ranch II, or the Napa Valley Stag's Leap Merlot. :ib

Latest posts

Back