Trying to clear Loquat Japanese plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith5

Reaction score
This is second year making loquat wine and it is TERRIBLE to clear. I put 3 tablespoons of pectin enzyme in 2 gallons, twice, then separated it into 1 gallon fermenters. Choices: add more pectin enzyme? Add Keiselsol/chitosan? Add Bentonite with warm water? Just relax and wait?

last years cleared after 3 dosings of pectin enzyme powder and it still took a month and still had ALOT of pectin waste. Is this just how this fruit is?

Does banana wine do the same fluffy pectin goopy thing? Seems like it would since both Japanese plum and banana break down so much(I haven’t made banana yet)

whatdya think?

Attachments

• 707E3112-9EB2-406B-96CE-B666F0EF4349.jpeg
    707E3112-9EB2-406B-96CE-B666F0EF4349.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 1AA097F4-9F10-43C4-91A7-D0BDC8A5D012.jpeg
    1AA097F4-9F10-43C4-91A7-D0BDC8A5D012.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I’d like to get that pectin haze compacted so I can get more clean wine and not waste. Trying 1 fermenter in refrigerator to see if that helps.
PS. It finished fermenting, OSG was 1.09, final 0.994, original ph was 4.6 so hit it hard with acid blend. It’s a weird fruit to ferment for me

thanks for insight on patience.
Should/Could I add Bentonite at this point? Post fermentation or just hit it with Chitosan/kiesolsol?

Patience, grasshopper, is the key to successful wine making!

With an SG of 0.994 you're post fermentation. If there is any activity remaining, it's minor and a week should be sufficient.

I'd use just one fining agent. All fining agents strip something, and that something depends on the one used. This site provides a good description of the various agents commonly used.

I prefer to use chitosan/kieselsol for clearing haze, but that's my preference. Bentonite will probably work as well. I don't believe there is a wrong answer here.

Regarding sediment, I know nothing about Loquat Japanese plum nor have I made banana wine. However, the yeast can affect the sediment -- I favor yeasts that produce a compact sediment. Makes racking easier.

winemaker81 is spot on, i at times make banana, and i do a pear apple blend, as well as pineapple, all three can take up to 2 years bulk aging, i did at one time had a address to a place that sells pear petinease, if i find it i will list it, that stuff beats sliced bread but other then that, as stated above it is patience grasshopper,
Dawg

Patience, grasshopper, is the key to successful wine making!

With an SG of 0.994 you're post fermentation. If there is any activity remaining, it's minor and a week should be sufficient.

I'd use just one fining agent. All fining agents strip something, and that something depends on the one used. This site provides a good description of the various agents commonly used.

I prefer to use chitosan/kieselsol for clearing haze, but that's my preference. Bentonite will probably work as well. I don't believe there is a wrong answer here.

Regarding sediment, I know nothing about Loquat Japanese plum nor have I made banana wine. However, the yeast can affect the sediment -- I favor yeasts that produce a compact sediment. Makes racking easier.
i agree 100% on the chitosan/kieselsol just dont give to people with seashell allergies...
Dawg

Thanks guys, I figured waiting it out was best. I racked it down and will wait it out. No rush

Latest posts

Back