Trying kits after a LONG absence. - Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbo_c

Reaction score
I gave up on kit wines 15 years or so ago because I could never get reds without “that taste”.

I’ve recently decided to give it a go again. So I’ve recently bought and started an EP Super Tuscan, Cru Select Meritage, and EP Cabernet.

Last night I started degassing the Tuscan and the meritage and I’m getting the distinct smell that echoes ‘the taste.’ So I’m nervous. I have a thought that incomplete degassing May have been my issue before(though I can’t see how). This morning, I put a brew belt on one of the Carboys to warm it up in preparation for more degassing tonight. Wine was at 68F last night so I’m thinking warmer will help me get more CO2 out of suspension. Hoping I don’t cook the wine.

I know it’s very early in the life of this wine, but based on previous experience this taste will not diminish with time. I’ve aged them as long as 5+ years and it hasn’t gone away. So I’m thinking I have to get it out now or never.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Jbo

I gave up on kit wines 15 years or so ago because I could never get reds without “that taste”.

I’ve recently decided to give it a go again. So I’ve recently bought and started an EP Super Tuscan, Cru Select Meritage, and EP Cabernet.

Thanks for any suggestions or input.

Jbo
If you didn't like the wine you made from kits in the past, why would you jump back into it by starting three kits? I would advise making one at a time until you figure out what you're doing wrong.

An excellent point. I’ve always had issues going halfway into something. :). In fact, until this racking and noticing the aroma, I had plans of getting two more.

That said, I don’t see any reason working three simultaneously rather than in series should be an issue.

Jbo

Other than ending up with 90 bottles of wine you don't care for, instead of just 30.

Back