Tropical Breeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Darlene I tokk a temp. reading about once an hour till it reached 76 degrees F.Then turned it off ,but left the towel around it. Stayed right there till I racked it.

Greg do you have the temperature strip on the side of the container ? They are only $1.99 here and you just lift the cover you have over your carboy have a quick peak to see what the temp is .Anyways from now on if I need to get the temp up I'll be getting my MILs heating pad from her .

Just an update on the Breeze, it has been in process almost 2 months so far. It looks good and is almost clear. I will likely backsweeten today and then let sit until finally clear.

Just an update on the Breeze, it has been in process almost 2 months so far. It looks good and is almost clear. I will likely backsweeten today and then let sit until finally clear.

My Tropical Breeze still has a little longer to clear but is progressing nicely. It has become a very nice color. I tilted it slightly to send most of the lee's to one side.

After racking in a few weeks I'll sweeten as well but I'm going to let it bulk age awhile. This will be a summer treat.

On another yet similar note I will bottle 3 gallons of a Peach Mango Riesling I started last September. The taste test when sweetening it went extremely well. Hard to wait a few more weeks.

After our latest PA'ers meet and greet, I decided to do another batch of this probably middle of February. Last batch was very well received and I was dissapointed I only made a gallon batch. I have a 7 gallon carboy, it's an odd size unless making a large batch of something. You can guess what it will be filled with. I plan on picking up 7-8 5 lb bags of tropical fruit from GFS and going from there. Last Batch I did not add an fpac and it was wonderful. I'll do the same this time. Hoping for a mid summer drinker here.

I picked up 8 5 lb bags of Mixed fruit from GFS, the same stuff I used the last time around. Going to get this started next week. Planning on making enough to fill a 7 gallon carboy. I'll be using the same recipe as before except I have 8 - 5 lb bags. Maybe I'll shoot for an 7 1/2 - 8 gallon batch that way I end up with 7 to finish.

Tropical Breeze

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4# bag of tropical fruit from Walmart. The fruits in the bag are cantaloupes, peaches, honeydew mellons and a handfull of red seedless grapes
2# of sugar or what you need to get to around 1.080
2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
water to make 1 gallon
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tanin
Lavlin 1122

Put the fruit into a straining bag and add all ingredients except yeast. 24 hours later add yeast. Squeeze bag everyday. When reading is down to 1.010 transfer to carboy. Once it is done fermenting and cleared backsweeten and bottle. I backsweeten to 1.010

Last edited:
After our latest PA'ers meet and greet, I decided to do another batch of this probably middle of February. Last batch was very well received and I was dissapointed I only made a gallon batch. I have a 7 gallon carboy, it's an odd size unless making a large batch of something. You can guess what it will be filled with. I plan on picking up 7-8 5 lb bags of tropical fruit from GFS and going from there. Last Batch I did not add an fpac and it was wonderful. I'll do the same this time. Hoping for a mid summer drinker here.

If I recall it seems to me there was someone sitting beside you making some strong comments about wanting more of the tropical breeze. :i

Sams has a mix of tropical fruit in a large can for aound $5.00.

Made a gallon of that a couple years ago that is still setting in the secondary jug.

All 3 buckets of juice are fermenting quite hapily. I'll punch down the cap at least twice daily. Waitring for the WHALE SPERM to appear. Yeah baaaaby. Summertime wine here we come.

Last edited:
Couple years, time to crack that puppy open....

Took a taste and checked the sG. tonight.

About .994. That sucker has real pucker power.

Sugar to 1.05.

May bottle this week end as I have about 5 gallons of various kinds in 4 litre jugs. ;)

My BOSS (wife) gave me a kit for x-mas. Started it last week end. First kit ever. Feels like I am cheating.

Last edited:
Well, 4 days after pitching the yeast the fruit in the bags is down to about 20% of it's orginal mass. Starting to get the cloudy thick pink look to it. I'll check SG tonight after work. I have a feeling this will be carboy bound this weekend. I placed a radiant heater near the buckets since I have everything split into 3 buckets. Only have 2 brewbelts or I would have used those. Temps are good at this point.

Took a taste of the Dole tropical fruit this morning.

Thought it had a little to much tannin so I may do the egg whiite thing on it and see what happens.

Maybe not, I'll have to think about it while I blow snow out of the driveway. Maybe give it another 6 months.

Just checked the sg of the Tropical Breeze. Sg is currently at .996. Stirred again and will transfer to carboy on Friday evening.

hey guys and gals you can use a heating pad in a pinch to raise the temp. i wrap my bucket in a towel and then put the heating pad around it. put it on low for a few hrs. and there you go.works great

I have read for a long time about people using a heat pad without any problems. I'm sure they are fine, but I just don't trust them. Seems like they could get wet or catch fire. Maybe pinched under the bucket... OK, maybe I am just a worrier. :slp

Back