Tropical Breeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided I was going to make Julie's Tropical Breeze wine from the recipe section of the site. I purchased the fruit Saturday 1/23 and began the process. I pitched the yeast late Sunday night. So far I am seeing no signs of fermetation starting. Both kits and also my apple wine all took close to 72 hours to start fermenting.

My current temp is about 68 degrees. I know this is within the range of the yeast and I am in the process of increasing the temp slowly with a heater. I'll be stopping to see about a brew belt after work today (may be cheaper to run than electric heater). I'm going to give this a few more days to see if fermentation starts, if it is unsuccessful, what should I be looking to try?

Thanks

your temp is on the low side. Bring it to mid 70's. If you added the k-meta I hope you waited 24hrs before you added the yeast.

your temp is on the low side. Bring it to mid 70's. If you added the k-meta I hope you waited 24hrs before you added the yeast.

Yeast was added just over 24 hours after all the other ingredients were added. I figured the temp was low and likely the cause. I'm in the process of increasing now and will be picking up a brew belt hopefully today.

I'll be patient. I promise.

LOL, it is so hard to patient. Tom is right, get the temp up and this will take off.

Julie

Make sure your fruit is thawed and yes raise the temp a bit. My Tropical Breeze is in it's clearing stage now. When it started out it was cool like yours so fermentation was slow until I got it up to 70~72 degrees. Then look out!

I was 4 days in yesterday, temps were mid to upper 70's and still nothing. Going to be patient a bit longer then consider options. Maybe a fresh batch of yeast? I'll give it the weekend..

Mine took off OK.:h
I did use a brew belt durning the begining though.
Just transfered it to my secondary yesterday.

hey guys and gals you can use a heating pad in a pinch to raise the temp. i wrap my bucket in a towel and then put the heating pad around it. put it on low for a few hrs. and there you go.works great

I checked the sg of the Tropical Breeze, it was 1.0 so I transferred into my glass jugs. I ended up with just under a gallon and a half of juice after squeezing every thing I could out of the fruit while it was in the primary. I'll have to go find my notes and I'll let you know the initial sg. The juice is kind of a milky pinkish color right now. Looks kind of interesting. I took a couple pictures and I'll get them posted later tonight or tomorrow.

Initial SG was 1.090. Here's a picture of it in the glass jug.

Tbreeze1.jpg

Doug, LMAO, the first thing I thought of was pepto bizmo. It does look really interesting and can't wait to hear how it tastes. :dg

When I did the first batch my husband said it looked like whale sperm. I have no idea how he would know this. It should turn a clear light pink and then the pink goes away and it will be a light amber color.

You are gonna like this! :tz

Julie

LMAO when I read the last 3 responses from Dan and Julie. At least I know based on Julie's comment it should look this way. In the future if anyone asks what whale sperm looks like, send them the link....:)

Glad I added some strawberries to mine giving it a nice reddish color. The friends would never leave me alone if I had something that looked like whale excretion.

On another and as much disturbing note, if you google wine sperm it'll probably bring you here.

hey guys and gals you can use a heating pad in a pinch to raise the temp. i wrap my bucket in a towel and then put the heating pad around it. put it on low for a few hrs. and there you go.works great

Thats probably a good idea since it would warm it more evenly then a belt . Of course the first time i would make sure i was home to watch it closely .

tropical breeze

I made a simmular wine using a large can of Doles tropical fruit from Sams Club. May have been Delmontes.

Cost was $5.00.

Be awhile untile I know the result.

Latest posts

Back