Tropical Breeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie

Reaction score
Someone in another thread asked for the recipe for my Tropical Breeze. So here it is. This may be difficult to make because for the last month Walmart has not had the fruit.

4# bag of tropical fruit from Walmart. The fruits in the bag are cantaloupes, peaches, honeydew mellons and a handfull of red seedless grapes
2# of sugar or what you need to get to around 1.080
2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 campden tablet
water to make 1 gallon
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp tanin
Lavlin 1122

Put the fruit into a straining bag and add all ingredients except yeast. 24 hours later add yeast. Squeeze bag everyday. When reading is down to 1.010 transfer to carboy. Once it is done fermenting and cleared backsweeten and bottle. I backsweeten to 1.010

Julie

I'm going to WalMart and GFS tomorrow. That sounds great. I presume the fruits frozen. Is that for one gallon?

yes it calls for adding 1 gallon of water..

Another source is Sams Club. I make a Mixed Fruit Wine from 6 bags (I think it comes in 6# bags) using Cote des blancs yeast.

I'll have to look into that myself, Julie/Tom, what are you typically paying for those frozen bags of fruit?

Think its around $7-ish I think. Been a while since I bought it. I added a bag of Sams frozen strawberries in the recipe

Thats not too bad, I'll for sure have to look at that. Last year I looked into frozen fruit at FredMeyers and Safeway, and it was absolutely out of the roof. I don't get to Sams much but you and Julie have caught my interest.

Yes the recipe is for 1 gallon. And the cost is around $7. My problem is the Walmart that I normally shop at doesn't seem to be carrying the bags of tropical fruit. Oh, yes this is frozen fruit. I am hoping that they get it in by summer. I guess I should check out Sam's club.

I pair this wine with a baked Halibut with cilantro sauce that I make, it is heaven!

Julie

Since the fruit is frozen would you still add Pot. Meta in the beginning? I know how fast those peaches change when they thaw and turn brown. It usually takes 3 days to thaw in the refer. Or would you partway thaw and add warm/hot water to quick thaw?

You guys ( that includes you Julie) got me excited about this I'm going searching today. Seems to be a great winter project.

LOL, I have three brother and I have always been considered "one of the guys".

I usually do the partly thaw and add hot water and then add the Pot. Meta. I agree this is a great winter project.

Julie

sounds good. I might go to BJs Club and get a big bag of frozen fruit after payday. :)

WalMart had a frozen fruit blend for $7.70 had peaches, grapes, strawberries and blueberries. I got 4 plus a bag of strawberries and 2 bags of black berries. I'll get some melons and start in a day or two.

Prior to Christmas I got the tropical blend Julie mentioned at GFS. Can't recall how much though.

Last edited:
...Prior to Christmas I got the tropical blend Julie mentioned at GFS. Can't recall how much though.

What is GFS and where is it? I am having a hard time finding the tropical blend since Walmart does not have it now.

Julie

GFS is great. There's one in Monroeville and another in Robinson, whichever is close to you. I shop the Pleasant hills store. They carry bulk foods and there's NO membership.

The Pleasant Hills has plenty and many other varieties. $7.79 bag
Julie if you want any let me know were close.

This solves the problem of my empty carboy, he was sad he was empty.

Last edited:
...The Pleasant Hills has plenty and many other varieties. $7.79 bag
Julie if you want any let me know were close.

Thanks for the offer but you got my interest up. I need to go check this place out. I see there is one in Monroeville, it's about 20 miles from me.

Julie

Julie it's 100 miles north of you on rt 19. If you go too far you'll drop off into Lake Erie. Oh Yeah, please don't forget the pie as you pass my house.:dg

Oh, sorry my GPS must be screwed up! It was taking me in the other direction :slp

And you would get a bottle of wine out of me waaaaay before you would get a pie! :)

Julie

Ok but have your husband bring some of his home brew also. It would be worth a trip up sometime though, to check out the wineries. There is a sheet load of them from Geneva Ohio through Northeast, Pa and into New York. The ones in Pa. don't charge for tasting.:dg I am stopping at Presque Isle Wineries Saturday to pick up some carboys. They have the best price out there. You can check them out on line. They also have there stuff in Country Wines down there on Babcock Blvd in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Well there is a good chance of that happening next year. We wanted to do a wine tour last year but our son go married and it seem like life evolved around the wedding.

He's got a porter that I really like and I don't like beer!

Julie

Latest posts

Back