tried some thing new this year with oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of oak and decided to try making my own oak strips to put in the carboys.

I cut the oak into 3/4" X 1" X 12" long. I put them in the stove oven at 350 for several hours but didn't think it was getting the job done so I moved it up to 400. After a couple more hours and a "smoked oak" smell in the room, I shut it down. I now have a dozen nice brown oak strips.

3 are in carboys now and 2 more will go in as soon as the last ferment is complete and it's racked.

Only time will tell how well it worked.

Do you know what type of oak it is? I read somewhere that you don't want to use red oak. Not sure why. But maybe try doing a little research before you toss them in your carboy. Keep us updated on how things turn out.

I'm surprised others haven't chimed in about this

I did a quick google search and found this. Very interesting

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_(wine)

Last edited:
It is red oak I believe. It's not good for barrels because it decays much faster than white oak when wet over a long period.

I tried small slats of red in 3 previous small batches. They were "toasted" with a torch. Not a very even or consistent job either!! I did think they worked OK. That's why I did large sticks in the oven for an even, controlled toast.

We'll see!!

Please keep us posted. I would very interested in your results and any improvements on your toasting method. I think I might have some oak laying around. ;)

Latest posts

Back