Trellis type and height for southern Wisconsin Petit Pearl

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Jenks

Junior
Reaction score
I am at the point where I need to construct my trellis system for my small backyard (26 plant) Petit Pearl "vineyard." Two specific questions that seem to have too many potential answers that I am struggling with. 1) What type of system should I use? Information I have gleaned has me leaning toward a Single Curtain. 2) If that is indeed the case, at what height should my single wire be? 5' 6" seems to be the standard though I have also read that it should be fine as low as at 4 feet. Any thoughts from the experts would be much appreciated.

I am at the point where I need to construct my trellis system for my small backyard (26 plant) Petit Pearl "vineyard." Two specific questions that seem to have too many potential answers that I am struggling with. 1) What type of system should I use? Information I have gleaned has me leaning toward a Single Curtain. 2) If that is indeed the case, at what height should my single wire be? 5' 6" seems to be the standard though I have also read that it should be fine as low as at 4 feet. Any thoughts from the experts would be much appreciated.
My Petit Pearl are at 5'6". Seems to be working well for HWC.

Your wire height is for your convenience.
I used eight foot posts for the ends so mine is at five foot. This is easy for picking/ pruning and a bit high for spraying. The local vineyard has a few demo vines on single posts at about four feet and the photo below, and a third system. ,,, Traverse City Mi has vineyards at two or three feet so they can plow snow on the vinifera vines for freeze protection. The UW field station is using a there wire system with the top at about seven feet.
There are two growth forms in grapes. Some tend to send shoots down (my concord) and some tend to send shoots up, (seems everything with vinifera genetics) ,,, in this case a high wire is useful.
D36D6C7A-5C6F-4201-A879-949270ABE37D.jpeg

Welcome to Wine Making Talk.

FYI, Wisconsin vinters is having an informal outside event in Milwaukee at Humbolt park off east Oklahoma at 5:30 Wednesday. You are welcome to come. Bring a chair, it will be close to the Beer Garden.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for you insights, I now have a plan . . . but hope you can help with one more thing. Most of my plants have really taken off these past two weeks and are near 6 feet tall. My research suggests that I should snip off the main upward shoot, at a bud, just below the level of my wire to solidify the main trunk and then eventually ID two arms to tie to the wire to create the cordons. I'm a little nervous about making that main cut so please tell me everything will be alright and a big cut like that is not going to end up negatively . . . or, set me straight. Thank you!

year one the purpose is to develop roots and a basic form on a post
year two the purpose is to develop the two basic arms on a support wire (or recover from what rabbits ate)
year three brush shoots off as they form on the trunk, and grow upper shoots which will be able to fruit when they are two year wood
year four see the first fruit

grapes are a weed species, our goal in farming is to manage their excessive growth and balance fruit with leaves, , , , , it won't hurt the plant but may change the fruiting for next year

I've got my Pearl on a wire that is 6' off the ground. They've been pretty easy to maintain at that level. 5th leaf is this year for, them so we'll see what kind of grop I get.

Latest posts

Back