Trellis post questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
Does anyone know why everyone uses wood as opposed to steel end posts for trellis Anchorage?

Steel drill stem is cheaper than wood land asts longer...Just wondering?

I have a good pile of several hundred feet of demoed out 21/2" ID-10' long rigid heavy wall Conduit.... Equal to schedule 40... I'm going to use it for end posts on several rows of grapes/muscadines...

Do you see any issues with this?

Of course... The conduit is..drill stem isn't, but can have the bottoms painted.....But drill stem is in use as fence posts in alot of areas, and know of some that's been in well over 20-30 years...

I think you'll be fine with the ridged conduit. Only challenge might be setting the height of the wire. Staples make it easy in wood.

Does anyone know why everyone uses wood as opposed to steel end posts for trellis Anchorage?

I think many just use what is locally available, and pressure treated posts are available most everywhere, where metal posts designed to take the wind sheer stress and have places to hang the trellis wire would be a special order for many.

I live in a wine growing area, and so metal posts specifically designed for vineyard trellises are locally available and always in stock. So it is not surprising many new vineyards here use metal for both row and end posts.

Another reason to use wood is aesthetics. Wood just looks nicer than a metal post. That is one reason I use wood. The other reason is black locust grows here like a weed, makes excellent posts, and is actually cheaper than the metal posts. Black locust posts I put in 15 years ago show little signs of rot so far, so I expect them to last at least another 10 years.

Last edited:
Used the rigid for the Muscadines....set wire height by using a tensioner, drilled through and used a bolt to keep the wire from slipping....
Every 50' another rigid post. With Tposts between...
Used commercial V GDV arms on the pipe and welded sucker rod on U bolts for the Tposts.

On the grapes ended up useing drill stem for ends, and middles with T posts at 20' intravles.

Back