Trellis method suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ct Winemaker

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All, we're getting ready to install the trellis system for our new small vineyard and are looking for thoughts on what method of trellis to use. We're planting 39 vines each of the following; Chardonel, St. Vincent, Marquette. Double A Vineyards (source of the vines) recommends MWC (mid wire cordon) for the Chardonel, and TWC (top wire cordon) for both the St. Vincent and Marquette.

We would really prefer to stay with one trellis type for a variety of reasons, and are considering going with VSP (vertical shoot pruning) for all three. VSP since it seems to be a more current and general method even though we understand that it takes more labor to do well (we also like the way the vines look when trained with VSP as apposed to the other methods).

What do you think? Would these three varietals do well with VSP? What would you do?

Any and all thoughts appreciated,

Thank you very much.

trellis is selected to conform to the natural growing habit of the grapes. the varieties mentioned have hanging vines or vines that grow down ward thus the high cordon method. if you want to use the VSP you are trying to force the grapes to grow upward against there natural growth pattern. I would not suggest using VSP. I would place all on on top wire cordon.

Iowa State describes Chardonnel and Marquette as having semi-upright growth habits, and St Vincent as having an upright growth habit. I grow Marquette on a GDC. Would probably do TWC if I had it to do over. They haven't been vigorous enough to fill the GDC trellis. I don't grow the other two.

Based on the info from ISU, I think you could make VSP work. Probably need to do more research though. I had a couple of varieties on a VSP, but switched them over to TWC. Deer in the spring were a big problem for my VSP vines.

Good luck.
H

Back