Trellis Construction for 120' Row

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedSun

Gardener
Reaction score
I'm planning for the trellis system for my vines, mainly Marquette and some table grape vines. There are 3 rows and each row is about 120' long. The soil is former farm land with red clay based. Planning for TWC system.

I'm not sure if 120' is considered long. So I do not know if there is any flexibility with the end posts and positioning. I can go with the standard 8' long 5" to 6" round posts and install them at 60 degree angle with earth anchor. Or the posts can be thinner (4" to 5" round) and the angle more flexible. I do not want to over-kill it, but do not want to re-install the posts in a couple of years.

The middle posts will be mixed 4" wood posts and metal posts.

Use the bigger posts for the ends and be sure they are treated for wet soil contact, not the lightly treated ones. I used some of those and they rotted off in less than 5 years. 9 or 10 feet would be better for the end posts to get a good 3-4 feet in the ground- remember that on an angle they need to be longer to get the same height out of the ground.

Yes, the length has been in my mind. Most of the posts are 8' long. If you sink it 2'-3' in the ground and at certain angle, then there won't be long enough to get 6' above ground for TWC. Have to search for 9' to 10' long posts.

Latest posts

Back