Transporting wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdammer

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

I couldn't find anything on this either.

I'm planning on moving again in 14 months. As far as transporting wine goes it really shouldn't be a big deal should it? All the wine in the stores has to be transported. Any pitfalls?

Thanks

As long as the wine is bottled, and you transport it in boxes so they can't roll around or break on anything you are fine.
If you have wine in carboys, that is a little more difficult...sloshing etc and if you put a solid plug on, you run the risk of the jostling causing some degassing and pressure...can be quite messy I'd imagine! :d

I can't recall where I read it but I remember a few senior winemakers saying you should avoid shaking the wine too much during a move and keep the temp as stable as possible. I dont' know if that means just driving smoother or maybe wrapping in blankets if possible.

I do know moving companies will NOT move your wine (or alcohol) so its on you to transport it

Yah I'll move myself. The navy is going to pay me $6,000 to move myself. 6k is worth the trouble in my opinion.

Wrap your bottles carefully, drive steadly if possible, pack the wine opposite the sun shine if possible and cover. Let your wne rest at least a month to calm down and you'll be fine.

Just don't open up a bottle at the rest area.:dg

If it was me I would bottle all my wine and have it in very sturdy boxes .Wait to start any new batches when I get there and set up again .Do you make white or red wines ?

I moved 400 bottles over a 1000 miles without much trouble. I got empty wine cartons from the liquor store. I transported my wines corks up. I could tell which ones were still a little gassy, because the vibration pushed the corks up. Luckily, nobody exploded.

If it was me I would bottle all my wine and have it in very sturdy boxes .Wait to start any new batches when I get there and set up again .Do you make white or red wines ?

All white so far. I want to start the CC cabernet merlot though.

Just want to hear some opinions. It's a year away. Sometimes I look too far ahead into the future.

Does any one know about shipping wine My apple and Plum seems pretty good to me and I would like to share it with my friends.

Does any one know about shipping wine My apple and Plum seems pretty good to me and I would like to share it with my friends.

Sure, I have shipped it through Fedex. I told them it was vinegar if they asked. I used shipping cartons that were meant for shipping wine in and there is no extra padding required.

Sure, I have shipped it through Fedex. I told them it was vinegar if they asked. I used shipping cartons that were meant for shipping wine in and there is no extra padding required.

And where do you get these box's?

go to your local wine shop and get some of the boxes with dividers. You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back