Transferring into carboy....much sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnteaman

Junior
Reaction score
I've just transferred 13 3/4 gallons of my homemade cherry and cherry/strawberry fruit wine into carboys.

I've noticed an immediate settling of lots of sediment....1/2" to 1and1/2"

is this normal....should i transfer again immediately or let it sit for a while?

must has been in primary for 10-14 days....different for each batch.....

thanks

I'd let it continue to fall out for a few weeks, then rack it again. Sounds like a good problem to have.....quickly falling lees.

Green Mountains is right on the money, it will settle much more and compact which will make it harder to disturb. Give it a few weeks to do this and if its still fermenting after that let it continue until finished fermenting or it might get stuck as there is viable yeast in there also.

Thanks a lot guys......the stuff smells wonderful......i've swished it around my mouth a little and it taste pretty good except for a little bitter....i hope that goes away but most store bought wine taste a little bitter to me anyway....the strawberry/cherry seems like it is going to be some good stuff....

I'm going to make a batch of beer (another first)actually wheat beer, before peaches and blackberries come in......

Thanks again and I look forward to frequenting this site.....

Youre on the right track for sure, let it settle.

I have seen people who immeadiately assume they need to rack everytime they see this settling out. Just a waste of wine. As th others have said, let it settle.

Congradulations, souns like you got a good one on the leash there. keep us posted Pictures are nice too!!

My buddy brought over some kind of beer a few weeks ago that had some apricot in it. I actually liked it, but that is a different thread. Keep on kepin on.

Im guessing that beer was Magic Hat #9, I have five gallons on tap, Tasty! I screwed up on it though and used too much apricot flavoring. At first I put in what the recipe called for and I couldnt taste it at all, I should have left it alone with that for awhile cause then I added till I thought it tasted perfect but then after a few weeks it really came through and is now stronger then I wanted but still good, more of apricot then pale ale. Live and learn, its the first time Ive ever fruited a beer. Are you making a kit beer TNteaman?

Back