Transfer Sediment When Racking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
I am waiting on my first kit to start making wine. It is a Mosti Mondiale All Juice Nero D'Avola. I printed out the pdf instructions for it and one step has me confused.

Here is what the instructions say. After primary fermentation, "When the specific gravity reaches 1.010-1.020, you can move to step 2"

"Step 2 - secondary fermentation"

"2.1 Rack (transfer) your wine into a clean and sanitized carboy using a siphon tube. Make sure to transfer the sediment as well..."

My brother-in-law, whose equipment I am using, said to NOT transfer the sediment when racking into the carboy. And I have to say that I don't understand why the sediment should be transferred. I mean, if you want the sediment during secondary fermentation, why bother to even rack it?

Some kits give you clearing agents that work better with the sediment. The clearing agents get stirred up with the sediment and latch onto each other which then somehow is able to grab more suspended solids and clear the wine having all the junk drop to the bottom.
At least that’s what they say

My B-I-L also said that maybe they want you to aerate it. And I think that may be it, because the instructions say to splash the wine into the carboy.

How does one have anything to do with the other?

The instructions likely call for you to drill out the co2 as well right? Which will also aerate. But still nothing to do with sediment transferring to secondary

What clearing agents are given and what to the instructions say? My guess is after degassing it calls to add the chems and mix into the wine along with the sediment into suspension - then let sit for a 10 days before racking off.

I can remember kit instructions saying to do the same. I think it was WE kits before they went to 2 step clearing agents. Personally I'd follow the kit instructions.

Last edited:
How does one have anything to do with the other?

The instructions likely call for you to drill out the co2 as well right? Which will also aerate. But still nothing to do with sediment transferring to secondary

What clearing agents are given and what to the instructions say? My guess is after degassing it calls to add the chems and mix into the wine along with the sediment into suspension - then let sit for a 10 days before racking off.

This step only calls for racking into the carboy with the sediment. Afte the specific gravity has gone down below 1.0 for 3 days, then it calls for racking back into the primary fermenter without the sediment and stirring to remove the C02. That is when clearing and stabilizing agents are added The only thing done before racking into the carboy along with the sediment is adding yeast nutrient. Here is the pdf instruction sheet. https://mostimondiale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/instructions-100-en.pdf

This step only calls for racking into the carboy with the sediment. Afte the specific gravity has gone down below 1.0 for 3 days, then it calls for racking back into the primary fermenter without the sediment and stirring to remove the C02. That is when clearing and stabilizing agents are added The only thing done before racking into the carboy along with the sediment is adding yeast nutrient. Here is the pdf instruction sheet. https://mostimondiale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/instructions-100-en.pdf

Man they sure unnecessarily complicate the process for ya.

I’d skip that “1.020-1.010 rack (with sediment) to glass” step altogether. And ferment to dry in the fermenter then rack off sediment into glass.

They just want you to keep as much active yeast in there as possible since they instruct to transfer so early.

Man they sure unnecessarily complicate the process for ya.

I’d skip that “1.020-1.010 rack (with sediment) to glass” step altogether. And ferment to dry in the fermenter then rack off sediment into glass.

They just want you to keep as much active yeast in there as possible since they instruct to transfer so early.

Since they say to splash into the carboy, I guess that is to get aeration then? Any way to do that in the primary fermenter? Pump out with the wine going right back into the primary? I don't want to do things that are unneccessary but, since this is my first winemaking try, I want to get it right. Even if it means more work, I guess.

Stirring it a couple times a day will do the same job.
I assume they instruct to splash rack because they have you transferring- so the extra o2 to reinvigorate the yeast. Plus no reason NOT to splash rack if transferring
It’s all a procedural fail safe to ensure a complete ferment. When in doubt follow instructions but they aren’t gospel either - Just keep in mind it is damn near impossible to stop an active ferment.

Thanks. Was just wondering because my B-I-L couldn't figure out why they would have you rack AND transfer the sediment. So, until I get some experience making wine, I guess I will follow instructions to the letter.

Thanks. Was just wondering because my B-I-L couldn't figure out why they would have you rack AND transfer the sediment. So, until I get some experience making wine, I guess I will follow instructions to the letter.

Often, when making kits, I will transfer a good portion of the sediment that gets sucked up into my racking cane. Why, my answer is always why not. It has fallen out once before, it will fall out again. It isn't going to be enough to cause off odors, so rack it, get as much as you can. And there is some yeast down in there just waiting to do what yeast does best, convert sugar to alcohol.

Latest posts

Back