Tramminette not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Reaction score
I have Tramminette in a 6 gallon carboy and in 2 one gallon carboys. None have cleared yet although all of my other whites from this fall have cleared. I did add some tartaric acid in the primary, and did not add any acid to any of my other whites. I also used a bit of bentonite in the primary. I have racked several times. Last racking had mostly crystals in the bottom and maybe a couple of teaspoons of sediment, but all together not much of both combined. I then tried pectin and finally Super clear, with not much results. It is stored in my garage and the temp strip on the carboy shows consistently mid 50s temps. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

You can try getting it colder, around 35-40 degrees. This will also drop some acid.

Also the option of time can help. Give it a month or two more to really tell if it will clear naturally

Norton, did you by chance get your Traminette from Walkers Fruit Basket? That is where I get mine and it takes at least 9 months to clear, I did pectic enzyme and then superklear.

superkleer should be used at 70 degrees or higher. one trick add about a 1/4 tsp of powdered tannin to wine, then use supercleer at higher temp.

Salcoco, what does the tannin do? I normally add a finishing tannin but never looked at it as a help in clearing a wine.

I got my Tramminette juice from les bourgeois vineyard in Rocheport, Mo. I have tried the cold crash on a batch. But the problem is that it got so cold that I now have Tramminette Slushy. I will give Superclear another shot in 70+ temps if it doesn't clear soon.

don't know exactly other than it works. this small amount will not flavor wine. I think it adds either particles or protein that seeds the wine so the the chemical can better clear the wine.

Tramminette slush results- after it thawed I had sediment that had dropped. Not an insignificant amount either considering that it had already been racked a few times since I started it in September. Probably clear enough to bottle if I wanted to do it now. I am setting some more outside and I will see if I can keep it from freezing and get the same results.

Pectic enzyme if you have not. Otherwise, patience. The best batch of apple wine I ever made took more than a year to drop clear.

Spaniel, I did try pectic enzyme. I have been cold soaking them outside for the past few days. The temperature range has been in the 30s. So far no settlement drop like it did when a batch was so cold that it got a little slushy.

Norton, I had the same problem you had. After fermentation I used pectic enzyme, left it sit for at least a month, I think it was more like two months I don't have my notes in front of me. Then I went to superklear, left it sit for three months, kmeta and racked. It was clearer but still not crystal clear. Left it set for another three months, racked and it was crystal clear! It needs a long time to clear but dam is this worth it!

Julie, before I saw you post I set several batches outside again. Woke up this morning to a range of results from not even slushy to almost frozen through. I am letting them warm up and I will see if I can replicate my prior result of slushy wine dropping a lot of sediment. I tried just putting some in the fridge to see if it would result in clearing but no joy on that attempt, at least not after a couple of days.

Julie, the cold crash tests were inconsistent. But some containers did drops sediment or "clouds" of something. I am wondering if the temperatures that you stored your Traminette in would also be a factor also in getting your wine cleared.

Norton, I am not sure, mine is in my basement, it stays around 55 degrees in the winter. I bought it in March, 2014 and never got it cleared until December 2014. Used pectic enzyme in July, and then added superkleer in September

Does Les Bourgeois generally sell juice? I live about an hour away and was curious. Thanks.

LBV does. I am not aware of a minimum purchase requirement but I usually buy at least 5 gallons or more.

Norton, Is there a certain contact person to get in touch with regarding the purchase of juice and do you know what varietals of juice they sell? Thanks.

I call around August and tell them what I am looking for. Ask for Marilyn. They then call me when it comes in or you can drop off a pail or two and they will fill it for you if you don't think you can come the day(s) that juice comes in. So far I have been able to get juice or must from anything that they make themselves.

Latest posts

Back