Trainee in a vineyard?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregorski

Junior
Reaction score
Helo Everyone,
Within the next couple of years I am planning on buying a small vineyard, probably in France, probably in Beaujolais region (I have a EU citizenship). Before I do that though, I'd like to learn a bit about wine-making, and also check if that's something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. My idea is to work in a vineyard somewhere in south eastern France for couple of months a year during the next few years, and learn whatever I can while doing it. Has something like this been done? Of course it has, but how do I go about it? Are there any online resources? Is there another forum that people exchange ideas about the topic. Any information is welcome.
cheers,
Gregorski

If you're interested in France specifically, keep an eye on vitijob.fr. Proficiency in French will greatly impact how many opportunities you can find, but there are places where speaking English is enough.

Sounds like the sequel to "We Bought a Zoo" 😀
But seriously though, when you say vineyard, would you just farm to sell the grapes, or operate it as a winery? I think those would be two separate things. To be clear, I have no experience in either. Do you have experience in farming? I think it would be fascinating to learn.
While searching "so you want to buy a vineyard in France," I found this quote that sounds encouraging. “Every year, one per cent of the Mediterranean vineyard ownership changes, representing about 50 transactions a year. The market is liquid. If someone buys, they can resell five years later quite easily. Except in exceptional cases, I have never met anyone incurring capital loss,”
Good luck on your adventure!

Now I wish I would have taken French in high school. What a great adventure. OTOH, Italy is in the news for giving real estate away for incredible bargains, not sure the quality of the housing on the sites are worth it, but again, what a great adventure if you’ve got the spirit.

Sounds like the sequel to "We Bought a Zoo" 😀
But seriously though, when you say vineyard, would you just farm to sell the grapes, or operate it as a winery? I think those would be two separate things. To be clear, I have no experience in either. Do you have experience in farming? I think it would be fascinating to learn.
While searching "so you want to buy a vineyard in France," I found this quote that sounds encouraging. “Every year, one per cent of the Mediterranean vineyard ownership changes, representing about 50 transactions a year. The market is liquid. If someone buys, they can resell five years later quite easily. Except in exceptional cases, I have never met anyone incurring capital loss,”
Good luck on your adventure!

Yes, I agree. It does soud a little bit like Buying a Zoo - and basically that's what it is. But, that's in the future. For now, I would like to learn little bit about making wine and growing grapes. I do realize that these are two different things, and I guess growing grapes would be my primary interest. But, then, since you have grapes, why not make some wine...? I do have some experience in farming - helping on deinitely-not-vine-growing grandpa's farm.

Back