traditional vs country,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this back and forth. I find the "country" interesting, and considering myself very country, I embrace it. Oh, it's not that I don't enjoy the "finer things" in life sometimes, too! As far as wine goes, I'm still new enough that I'm still learning just what I do like and struggling with making this "#*!! skeeter pee work!
Houndog-I'll bring some venison and homemade breakfast sausage!

Love this back and forth. I find the "country" interesting, and considering myself very country, I embrace it. Oh, it's not that I don't enjoy the "finer things" in life sometimes, too! As far as wine goes, I'm still new enough that I'm still learning just what I do like and struggling with making this "#*!! skeeter pee work!
Houndog-I'll bring some venison and homemade breakfast sausage!
skeeter pee is super easy, add water sugar, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and add only 1 quart lemon per 6 gal water, ferment when ferment holds the same for 3 days iin a row add the rest of your lemon then rack to your secondary/carboy
Dawg

Now my question is approximately how much elderberry juice concentrate should be added to skeeter pee per gallon for flavoring? How about raspberry? As far as the tart cherry goes, if this doesn't ferment down as much as I would like I might just add all I have! I don't think it's as concentrated as the raspberry and elderberry I have ordered. I still have to add the rest of the lemon. I'm waiting to see if I can get the SG down a little lower before I mess with it any more other than stirring.

Now my question is approximately how much elderberry juice concentrate should be added to skeeter pee per gallon for flavoring? How about raspberry? As far as the tart cherry goes, if this doesn't ferment down as much as I would like I might just add all I have! I don't think it's as concentrated as the raspberry and elderberry I have ordered. I still have to add the rest of the lemon. I'm waiting to see if I can get the SG down a little lower before I mess with it any more other than stirring.
elderberry is a very strong flavor, as for raspberry, i have only used black raspberry, which is strong as well, and yes most tart cherry concentrate it uses less water then most concentrates, as for how much will be on the label of how much water to add per part, i on SP use only lemon , does your skeeter pee have other flavors or just one or all three of them flavors
Dawg

what company are you ordering from. i know where i order from cherry makes less so yes your right it is not as concentrated as the other 2
Dawg

How warm do y ou have your must? Get it up to 75 or even 78 or so. If it takes off good then, make sure you have enough nutrient in it.. Should ferment fast at that temp. If you are having still having trouble, next time ferment a wine you want to have a little of the flavor in your skeeter, rack your wine off the lees, and start your skeeter directly in the fermenter with the lees in it. Bet it will take off like gangbusters. Arne.

Skeeter is 75 right now. It stays warner in that room than any other place in the house. I added nutrient a while back, so I don't think I should add any more. I still have it in buckets. I am stirring vigorously at least twice a day. I get lots of foam (CO2?) every time I stir. The SG has dropped slightly, so at this point it is moving along very S.....L......O......W......L.......Y!

As far as flavoring, the red raspberry and elderberry I ordered is from Fruitfast. The tart cherry was just some I picked up at Walmart, their store brand. Houndog-I wish I had black raspberries. I love them, but don't have access to any right now.

As far as flavoring, the red raspberry and elderberry I ordered is from Fruitfast. The tart cherry was just some I picked up at Walmart, their store brand. Houndog-I wish I had black raspberries. I love them, but don't have access to any right now.
you lve here in the USA I use in off season and things i don't grow i use,,, www.colomafrozen.com they have single fruit/berry concentrates,,
Dawg

I've been thinking about this recently, and talking with a local vintner about introducing country wine to his repertoire
This seems to be a growing trend in areas not known for Vinifera wines. Looking at wineries in southern and eastern North Carolina, I see a large number produce fruit and grape/fruit blended wines. I haven't checked, but I suspect this is far less likely in Napa Valley.

Unless a winery is doing so well from its primary line up (e.g., dry Vinifera), it makes sense to broaden the line up to appeal to multiple tastes. Why not have a line up where something will appeal to most people who walk into the tasting room?

I'd point out the rather ironic tasting guidelines for sommoliers to describe nose and palette (taken verbatim from the master court of sommoliers): citric, Apple, berry, plum, melon... every other fruit EXCEPT the actual fruit it's made from
This sounds ironic, doesn't it? I laughed when I read your comment. However, we describe things in terms of other things we already know, so without using other fruits as a model, how would we describe the taste and smells in wine?

Much of our communication depends on referencing commonly known terms ... which may explain why humans often have such a hard time communicating ... ;)

am i the only one who has never had a country fruit wine? or a skeeter pee?
Time to broaden your horizons!!!

A lot of fruit wines are available -- buy a few and try them, with the understanding that they are very different. At first you may not think of them as wine. You will never think of them in the way you think of the wines you make. But you may like at least some of what you try.

Like when my son -- who has had Vinifera, Muscadine, and fruit wines -- tasted Chancellor (French-American hybrid) for the first time. It took a few sips for him to get a mental handle on the difference from Vinifera, and to decide he liked it.

BTW, I've not made skeeter pee or dragon's blood, and it's doubtful I'll make either. But if someone offers me a glass, I'll surely try it, and probably enjoy it.

Bet I know where you can get some plants. I spend a lot of time at Glen Elder. If you are headed up north sometime let me know and I could bring a few down with me. Few years and you can have an endless supply of them. Arne.

Arne-I'm in the process of renovating the house we bought. We bought it knowing we would be doing some updating, but we didn't realize just how extensive it was going to be. As soon as we are done with that and moved in I will be starting on the yard, garden and vineyard. Maybe THEN I could take you up on that offer.

Latest posts

Back