toying with making a mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc294

Reaction score
I now like to do 1 US gallon trials of wines and I'm toying with making a mead. Any easy recommendations? I just want to give it a whirl.

Hate to say it, but mead usually needs to age a while. Some say a minimum of 2 yrs, although I like it young. Better make 5 gallons in case you like it.

Orange blossom, goldenrod, and clover are available locally to me, as is a generic-sounding spring blend. The orange blossom makes a great mead, as does the goldenrod. Haven't tried the others yet, although I have 4 gallons of spring blend in a bucket in the garage just waiting.

1 gallon honey (12 lbs) and 4 gallons of water is a pretty good ratio. You'll end up around 12% abv like that. You'll need some DAP or other nutrient, as well as some acid. Don't boil. Boiling will reduce the scent. Just use lukewarm water and stir it in. It takes a lot of stirring. Sulfites are optional at the beginning, Honey has some anti-bacterial properties and it's unusual to get an infection. Also, there are some mead yeasts on the market you might want to try. Can't recommend as I've only used ec-1118. No mead yeast available locally.

PM me if you want some. I have prices handy.

-Mud

Last edited:
Joe's Anicent Orange mead (JAO or JAOM) has started many a mead maker down the road to obsession. I can easily whip up a 1-gallon batch in 15 minutes and it'll be ready to drink in 3-4 months, though it ages well out to a few years. Since almost everyone I know likes it, I always have a batch going.

I don't know if there a recipe on this forum but this is an extremely popular and successful quick mead that can be found in a number of places with a quick search.

Joe's Anicent Orange mead (JAO or JAOM) has started many a mead maker down the road to obsession. I can easily whip up a 1-gallon batch in 15 minutes and it'll be ready to drink in 3-4 months, though it ages well out to a few years. Since almost everyone I know likes it, I always have a batch going.

I don't know if there a recipe on this forum but this is an extremely popular and successful quick mead that can be found in a number of places with a quick search.
I think I have seen that name?????? O ya on that BEER site. Nice to have you here

Latest posts

Back