Tourigo Nacional Yeast Recommendations

Discussion in 'Forum Comments, Suggestions & Help' started by mainshipfred, Sep 15, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Sep 15, 2018 #1

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

I'm doing a Tourigo Nacional this fall but can't seem to find a yeast recommendation chart. The most common reference I have is it's comparable to a Cab Sauv for aging and tannins. I tried looking for Potruguese yeast strains but had no luck with that either. Any thoughts?

heatherd likes this.
  2. Sep 15, 2018 #2

heatherd

heatherd

heatherd

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

Hi Fred,

I recently had an all varietal Tourigo Nacional from my wine club, Winc, made from Paso Robles grapes n CA. I found the wine to be quite fruity, fermented to dry, with minimal oak and earth. I would liken it to a Gamay, Grenache, or Pinot Noir. The California stuff seems to be lighter and fruitier. I think I would go with RC212 to enhance that, and maybe do a kiss of oak, if any at all.

[​IMG]
    https://www.winc.com/wines/2016-field-theory-touriga-nacional-12092

Here are their notes:
    Our single-vineyard, uniquely fresh version of the rare Touriga Nacional.
    Field Theory highlights curious varietals from unfamiliar places, like this Touriga Nacional from Pomar Junction Vineyard in Paso Robles, CA. To make our own rendition of this rare-to-California varietal, we hand-picked and whole berry fermented the grapes and aged the wine in neutral oak barrels for eight months. The result is a light, early-drinking red with a fresh, fruit-forward flavor. Pro tip: On a warm day, drink slightly chilled.

Tasting notes of pink pepper, red cherry, strawberry.

light, fruity, small batch
    • Body: light

• Sweetness: dry

• Alcohol: 12.4%

• Winemaking: vegan
    Here's what Wine Folly has to say: https://winefolly.com/review/exploring-touriga-nacional-wine/ and they describe it as very tannic and floral, when made from Portuguese grapes.

mainshipfred likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2018 #3

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Thanks Heather, as usual I will use more then one yeast. Already have 212 so it's a start.

heatherd likes this.