Totally stupid question....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the rounded end, not the pointed one.

Guess there's something for everybody. The church key I keep in the winery is smaller than average so the rounded end doesn't reach far enough toward the center to give proper leverage. The pointed end doesn't puncture the cap, it just provides more leverage. Both ends probably work fine on a larger opener.

the bigger problem might be to pour the juice without it splashing all over the place.
My older primaries are tall and relatively narrow, which made pouring the bag more difficult. The newest one is wider -- I put it on the floor and hold the mouth of the bag over it as I pop the top. Then I carefully pour the bag contents slowly, raising the back of the bag as I go. This requires a bit of practice, but it's possible to pour the bag without spilling a drop.

Another suggestion, I simply take a razor knife and make 6 or more slits in the thin part of the cap under the lip. This allows it to be easily removed and snapped back on. Which after emptying the bag allows for easily rinsing the bag to get all residual juice and tannins into the must.

Easy to pour without spilling if you leave the bag in the box, tape the flaps closed around the spout

I agree but it would be so much easier if they prepared a hole in the top that you could slip the spout through that would actually hold the bag in place. When I (rarely) use a kit I do tape the flaps closed but am always very anxious that the weight of the juice will result in the bag shifting and so a major loss of the juice as it ends up on the floor

You people realize that the cardboard box that the kit comes in is designed to hold the neck of the floppy bag, right? You "capture" the neck in a semicircular cutout in the cardboard.
I saw this on line, but have not seen the semicircle cutout on my RJS wine kits. Am I missing something? I'm so far not too good at pouring the juice in. 🙄

I saw this on line, but have not seen the semicircle cutout on my RJS wine kits. Am I missing something? I'm so far not too good at pouring the juice in. 🙄

I must admit that I have never done an RJS kit. I am guilty of overgeneralizing. I have seen them on Winexpert kits, Cellar Craft kits, and Master Vintner kits.

Some kits have the cut out, some don't. Just make your own. Cut out parts of the flap on the box, close them around the spout, use tape to keep the flaps closed, easily pour the concentrate into your fermenter

I don't believe you've missed anything.

Another way to pour: rest the bag on a counter with the spout raised. Pop the cap with table knife -- the back of the blade near the tip should fit under the cap and give you leverage. Have a helper hold the primary at counter level and lower the spout until it starts to pour. As the bag empties and the primary gets heavier, lower the primary to the floor, moving the bag with it.

Or rest the primary on a stool. Or rest the primary on the floor with the bag on a stool or other flat object. Anything you can do to remove the weight of the bag and the primary from the situation will make it easier for you.

As I mentioned above, I have a wider primary that makes avoiding splashing easier.

Side Note:

When the bag is empty I add water and replace the cap, shake the bag around to dissolve all visible sediment in the bag, then pop the cap and pour into the fermenter. Typically I do this twice, sometimes 3 times for reds where the bag has a lot of sediment. Then continue diluting the kit.

For dessert wine kits that are not diluted, I replace the cap and hang the bag, spout side down, and press the bag to move any remaining liquid to the spout. Then, keeping the bag oriented spout-side down, I carefully pop the cap over the fermenter.

This doesn't get much extra juice, but it's MINE and I want it! 😋

I had 2 WE kits delivered yesterday and both had cut outs for the spout.

I'm only on my 3rd kit and noticed the WE Australian Chardonnay box came with the cutout. Not sure if I missed it on the previous kits (WE and RJS) but this looks like it will make life much easier!

Attachments

• 20210130_113828.jpg
    20210130_113828.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back