Totally stupid question....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinAZ

Junior
Reaction score
How do you guys open the juice packs in the box kits?

I swear I tried everything I could think of with the On The House kit I bought and I couldn't get that yellow cap to budge. I finally just cut the corner off. That didn't seem to be a problem with this kit since it didn't have a second juice pack, but in the future, there may be a 2nd pack. Also, I don't want to continue to be an uneducated neanderthal...

TIA,
Kevin

A few ideas: They make a tool for this: Plastic Bucket Opener & Wine Bag Decapper (Picture below.)

Also, you can make your own tool. I think @Rocky taught me this. I made one out of a piece of wood, and three flathead screws in a triangle pattern. I will look to see if I can find a picture of it.

Also, channelok pliers work!

42727-wine-bag-decapper-and-bucket-opener_3_x1400.jpg

A few ideas: They make a tool for this: Plastic Bucket Opener & Wine Bag Decapper (Picture below.)

Also, you can make your own tool. I think @Rocky taught me this. I made one out of a piece of wood, and three flathead screws in a triangle pattern. I will look to see if I can find a picture of it.

Also, channelok pliers work!

42727-wine-bag-decapper-and-bucket-opener_3_x1400.jpg

I swear I tried everything I could think of with the On The House kit I bought and I couldn't get that yellow cap to budge. I finally just cut the corner off. That didn't seem to be a problem with this kit since it didn't have a second juice pack, but in the future, there may be a 2nd pack. Also, I don't want to continue to be an uneducated neanderthal...

TIA,
Kevin

Channel locks work great. I just grab the cap on the top rim, pull up straight and it pops off easily. Been doing it that way for years!

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 23

TIA,
Kevin
Not a stupid question al all - no such thing on here! Channel locks work great. I just grab the cap on the top rim and it pops off easily. Been doing it that way for years!

I use to use a large flat head screwdriver when I was making kits. Just get the end shoved into the slot and twist up and it would break it free enough to pop off.

TIA,
Kevin

I just pry up with a butter knife working it around the cap edge but the tool mentioned above looks good.
I have a pocket knife made from really cheap steel that cannot be sharpened. I slide the back of the thin blade under the cap and lever it off.

However, I REALLY like the jig Paul posted pictures of and will make one the next time I buy a kit.

TIA,
Kevin
HI, lol, I hear ya, them caps are installed super tight, which in all honesty, it's a REALLY good thing!.

I actually use a butter knife (much safer lol), I wedge it in sideways between the cap & the neck of the bag & push downwards, like you would when using a lever on a fulcrum. Comes right off. Hope that helps.

Church key/bottle opener works great. I just hold the neck of the bladder up, pop the top, then lower the neck to let the juice flow out.

bottle opener.jpg

TIA,
Kevin

I just use a standard old beer can opener, otherwise known as a church key. The pointed end, that is, not the bottle-opener end. Works like a charm. The point reaches almost to the very center of the cap and you get good leverage.

Latest posts

Back