Topping up with juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
My niagra and catawbas are pretty strong in the alchohol % category. I am going to top up with some juice. I was looking at the grocery store yesterday and they have a lot of 100% grape juice in the jugs. And then the frozen cans. I was looking at the different ingredients in each. Some have different things in them to preserve the juice. I'm guessing I need to stay away from this. 1 of the juices I was looking at was this one. http://www.welchs.com/products/100-percent-grape-juice/100-percent-grape-juices/100-percent-white-grape-juice

Or I will use the frozen juice concentrate in the can if that is ok? Do you guys just crush up the frozen juice and pour it into the carboy. Or do you mix with water? Thanks everyone

I have 2 carboys of catawba that are the same recipe. I was thinking of maybe adding some of the Pear\Grape frozen concentrate to one of them and see how it turns out.

Well I will probably get yelled at but I don't think it matters if your wine has already fermented. I think you have to be careful of the ones with preservatives in them if you plan on fermenting the juice. But if it is done and you are just topping up and in the aging stage it soul not matter. But let see what other people mite say before you proceed.

The above post is correct. If you are going to ferment it then sorbate and benzoate are no-no's. once fermentation is done then either or all are fine. As far as sulfites go, if using one of these products pre fermentation then err on the lower side with adding sulfites. When using post fermentation then the small amount of sulfites in these is negligible. Always thaw the product out to room temp before adding to your wine and I do not add any water.

Thank you. Yes the wines are done fermenting. I just wanted to make sure I didn't use a juice that had something in it that could mess up the wine. I'm thinking of trying a pear\grape or cranberry\grape juice. I'm leaning towards the pear because maybe it will mellow out the wine a little. Thanks again

The reason I asked about adding water is because I have about a half gallon of space I need to fill in the carboy. That would be quite a few cans of frozen juice! lol. May just use the bottled juice.

Get the taste were you want it and add some water but be careful as adding to much will Dilute your wine.

Its always a much better idea to rack to a smaller vessel then top up especially when adding that much s then youll be changing your flavor some.

The reason I asked about adding water is because I have about a half gallon of space I need to fill in the carboy. That would be quite a few cans of frozen juice! lol. May just use the bottled juice.

The bottled juice is probably just concentrate that has been reconstituted (diluted) with water -- so you'll be adding water anyway.

Its always a much better idea to rack to a smaller vessel then top up especially when adding that much s then youll be changing your flavor some.

This is my first time making wine. My plan is to change the flavor of this wine. lol. The alchohol level is too high.

Next harvest I will make sure to get some gallon jugs and make small batches of wine specifically for topping up.

Latest posts

Back