Mosti Mondiale Topping Up Mosti Mondiale All Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seminarian

Reaction score
okay I racked my MM Alljuice CAb last night but when I finished I had about 4 inches at the top of the carboy (I think since this was my first time racking off the sediment I may have lost some wine) and then the extra bottle that I had pulled off at the first racking had a weird smell so I didn't add it. My question is what do I top up this thing with to keep it safe until I get ready to clarify and bottle? Do I get a commercial cab sauvignon and add to it? Help this newbie wine maker?

You probably could have gotten a bit more wine out of it. Did you tilt the carboy while racking to get more. I don't remember if you had gotten an airlock on the extra- if not it probably got oxydized. Buy a commercial wine like you said, Cab Sauv or a close related wine would be good. Remember some use glass marbles also. Whatever you can to get it up there within two to three inches of the top.

I tilted the carboy and pulled the siphon out when the siphon started to get sediment in it. I will pick up some cabernet and pour into it to keep it topped up.

seminarian said:
I tilted the carboy and pulled the siphon out when the siphon started to get sediment in it. I will pick up some cabernet and pour into it to keep it topped up.

At that point, I sometimes take a large funnel and put 4 or 5 coffee filters in it. Spray with a little sulfite solution and pour in the rest of the wine from the carboy or pail. It removes enough sediment so that I get quite a bit more wine. I usually filter into a gallon or 1/2 gallon jug depending upon how much liquid there is.

Jim

Latest posts

Back