Cellar Craft Topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywood

Junior
Reaction score
I have several kits going. It's getting expensive buying wine to top them off with every time I rack. I'm new at this so have no wine I've finished yet. Can I just use that vacuum to suck the air out and not top off with a similar wine?

No, you will not get all of the oxygen out. You can spray in some inert gas like with Private Reserve product from Presque Isle (one of the sponsors). Or you can fill the container with something solid like marbles but it may take an awful lot of them.

To reduce the air in your carboy, save your lees in a tall glass bottle, store in the fridge and wait for the lees to settle again. You will be able to extract more of the wine to put into your carboy/barrel, thereby requiring much less topping off.

...Or you can rack to smaller containers.

Last edited:
I'm running into the same issue. I have my leas stored in the refrigerator and wine bottles with Vacuum stoppers. How long can I leave them in there before using. When is it time to throw them out?

Me too.. I have done pretty good racking the 6 gal kit down to a 5 with just using about 5 lbs of marbles in the end. (not a cheap alternative)
I have tried saving lees but it is not enough to help. I am starting to think the gas is the only way to go.
It's rough being a newbie. When will I outgrow this?

You would need to spray in gas weekly. I do a combination of marbles, saving the lees, and then top off with RO water if still needed. You could also buy boxed wine for topping off.

Latest posts

Back