topping off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wing, I certainly didn't mean it the way it may have come across.(Troy hands Wing a glass of his flammable wine) I appreciate your involvement on the site. I promise to never talk about nylons in my wine ever again. Nylons with wine, however may bring up a new discussion. SKOAL!
Troy
(PS, I dig you rides!!!!)

Last edited:
I made my first wine kit at new years every thing seems to be going good except 1 thing, after I degassed it, I added the sorbate to the wine and stirred it, than added the syrup, mixed it, and than added the finning pack, and mixed it, and syphoned back into carboy, the only thing that I am worried about is that there is enough room to put a litre of wine back into the carboy should I be worried about this much of an air space? I forgot to mention that the kit is a niagra mist blackcherry pinot noir and has been clearing for 4 days now

So you are saying that you came out short on a mist kit! Wow, when ever I did 1 of these I always had extra with the big f-pack. Anyways, you will be bottling soon so dont worry about it. These are not kits that need or even should be bulk aged in a carboy so just get it in the bottle. I must add that you either need to be more careful racking o as not to lose much wine or be more exact when making a kit and make sure your primary buckets #'s are right as some arent very accurate and if you start making wines that are more expensive you wont want to be running short and trying to top up with much wine or other means.

Thanks for the reply wade I am currently fermenting a wine expert kit that recomends to leave it age for up to 6 months, it states to top up with water, what are some other alternatives to water? if I had some of this mist wine could I top it up with that, or should I use a dry wine? I am not very keen on adding water because I beleive it waters it down.

You can top off with a similar commercial wine or a previous wine that you've made. Another useful tip is to save the lees and dirty wine in the bottom of the carboy when you rack and put it into a small container with as little airspace as possible. Over time, the sediment will compact further and you can rack off the clear wine on top and salvage a small amount of wine from the dregs. This only really makes sense if you're making a fair number of batches, otherwise you won't be able to reclaim enough wine to make the extra trouble worthwhile.

Back