Topping off with vodka

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I have 2 questions. Can you top off the carboy with vodka to prevent oxidation if the space between the wine level and the closure is too big? In my case it would be adding about 12 oz of vodka. Vodka is lighter so it would most likely stay on top and protect wine. This is in the aging process.
My second question is, can you age your wine in temperature of about 47-48 Fahrenheit? This is what I have now in the basement.

Yes you can age cold, you may see wine diamonds in the carboy, and as a result a smoother flavor. ,,,, This kinda sounds like a good excuse for me to move some concord wine to the garage, sorry mrs RG.

Vodka will not stay on top! ,, Vodka is a polar solvent and within a day it will have blended out with the rest of the wine ie another polar solvent. , , , YES you can do it but the net result is you make a port wine.
My experimenting yesterday was adding some LDPE (milk jug plastic stock) to a carboy. This is a take off on plastic wine saver balls on Amazon or the earlier concept of adding marbles. , , , , but need to add some ballast to the LDPE yet.
652F9CAC-1C11-41AE-BAEF-AC46C632A3FF.jpeg
Another top off I have done is putting a cork with a check valve (from Granger) on a glass carboy and then pulling a vacuum on the headspace. Currently I avoid degassing since the CO2 is a friendly gas and I want the option of having CO2 as the head space.

I forgot to add it is a 6 gallon carboy, so adding 12 oz of vodka would be far from making port, but you were right about mixing vodka with wine pretty quickly. I didn't think about it. I only have about 2,5 inch empty space from the top.

Latest posts

Back