Topping off with commercial wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
After racking off of sediment, I had head space.. one of the suggestions was to top off with a cheap commercial wine... after reading about MLF, I have a concern.

I started reading up on MLF, thinking I would try it soon. What got me concerned was reading that MLF and sorbate are a no no.

So my question is, what happens if one had added sorbate to their wine to later top off with a wine that had gone through MLF?

After racking off of sediment, I had head space.. one of the suggestions was to top off with a cheap commercial wine... after reading about MLF, I have a concern.

I started reading up on MLF, thinking I would try it soon. What got me concerned was reading that MLF and sorbate are a no no.

So my question is, what happens if one had added sorbate to their wine to later top off with a wine that had gone through MLF?

Two finished wines? Nothing.

Few of us use sorbate (unless you will be backsweetening). Do you mind telling us why you are using sorbate?

Because I'm new and I figured why not use it in case I end up back sweetening. Plus, it seemed all the kits used it.

It’s only when you have something going on (active MLF) that you need to worry. I used to top of my kit reds with commercial wines with some routine (less often now that I have a diversity of homemade wines in my basement). Never had an issue.

Because I'm new and I figured why not use it in case I end up back sweetening. Plus, it seemed all the kits used it.

I’d only suggest having a plan going in to the start of your kit. Add only what you need.

Kits are packaged to ensure that the novice winemaker can make a decent wine, minimizing the possible bad outcomes. Generally, your best tools for winemaking are: good hygiene and patience.

Sorbate is needed of your wines have residual sugar or you backsweeten (as you suggested) to avoid restarting refermentation. But if your wine is dry, you can throw it away.

Clarifiers are used to “finish” your kit wine in that 6-8 week period. If you have a little patience and age your wine before bottling, you can throw those away.

Eventually, you’ll get to the point of experimenting with things like yeasts, fpacs, tannins and oak - tweaking your wine to taste. That’s when things really get interesting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back