Topping off my carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stian84aa

Junior
Reaction score
Hi.

I run into a slight problem topping off my carboys. All the kits i buyed so far here in norway recommend me to make at total volume of 21-23 liter, depending on how "thick" i want it. usally i been going for 21 liters since i want as much taste as possible.

My carboys are 25l. After racking a few times i usally loose a liter or two in the process. Needless to say i got a lot of airpsace in the top of the carboy now.

I know i could add some stones or gems to to fill that void, but im having problems finding a supplier that i trust to go sell me a product that does not affect the flavour odf the wine.

The other options is of course mixing in some wine from the store. Problem is that here in norwat wine is expensive so 5l will at least cost 500-600 $.
Thats twice of what i pay for a kit...

Any suggestion for what i can do to top these carboys up beside what i allreasy mentioned?

Thanks for any replies.

Search "head space eliminator". It's a nifty device that Steve created that has allowed me to store half of a carboy for 4 months, without any noticeable oxidation. I'm skeptical about devices, but it works like a champ. You will need a means to evacuate the space; I use a vacuum pump.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49529

23 liter carboys is a cheap option as well, the 23 liter carboy is probly the most common carboy size and will run you $15-$20 for a new one.

Hi. Thank you for the replies.

Ill definintly look into this vakum pump.

Sadly winemaking is a forgotten culture here in norway. All the carboys i bought is from the used marked. Noone sells them new anymore. Its all about beer here

I usually make 6-7 gallons of wine per batch. I will rack that into a 5 gallon carboy, a one gallon glass juice bottle, and whatever is left will go into a 1.5 liter bottle. I like to have enough extra wine so when I rack it I don't have to dilute it with water.

In your case I would buy a 5 gallon carboy from Amazon. (If you can do that) You can probably buy a large glass container of juice at your local grocery store. I have old 1 gallon apple juice bottles, I also have 3 liter wine bottles, 4 liter wine bottles and 1.5 liter wine bottles.

You might also be able to get them to order a carboy for you at the local beer brewing supply store.

Here is a link to Amazon, maybe this will help you out.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=glass+carboy

Good Luck

I usually make 6-7 gallons of wine per batch. I will rack that into a 5 gallon carboy, a one gallon glass juice bottle, and whatever is left will go into a 1.5 liter bottle. I like to have enough extra wine so when I rack it I don't have to dilute it with water.

In your case I would buy a 5 gallon carboy from Amazon. (If you can do that) You can probably buy a large glass container of juice at your local grocery store. I have old 1 gallon apple juice bottles, I also have 3 liter wine bottles, 4 liter wine bottles and 1.5 liter wine bottles.

You might also be able to get them to order a carboy for you at the local beer brewing supply store.

Here is a link to Amazon, maybe this will help you out.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=glass+carboy

Good Luck

I as well try to make 6.5 gallon batches so that after fermentation and racking i end up with 5 gallons to fill a carboy when doing fruit wines but when i buy kits they typically yeild 23 liters and sometimes depending on the kit i will only add enough water to 21 or 22 liters depending on the sg and body i want. I buy a cheaper kit (12 liter concentrate) every few batches i use to top off my better kits with (18 liter concentrate kits) but i wouldnt ever go over the 23 liter mark on a 23 liter kit, that would just take away from the body and alchohal content.

Latest posts

Back