topping off barrels... no com wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
So I'm about to get started with my Eclipse old vin zin kit.. I plan to age in an oak barrel, and I realize I'll need to keep headspace low. I don't want to top off with someone elses wine so I feel like the only option is to do 2 batches back to back. Bottle the 2nd batch immediately and use it to top off the barreled batch. I considered getting some 3 gal carboys for the "top off batch" but I feel like I'll end up in the spot with them needed to top that off too.. .

So my questions.

making 1 full batch and filling a 5g barrel will there be any left over to use for topping? or do i have to make a 2nd batch to ensure I have my wine for topping.

Any idea how often and how much topping the 5g oak will take..? loss per month I guess?

Any other experience out there with a different/better idea?.. I don't want to use marbels.

I have seen some 5L (1.3g) barrels, could age in 4 of those, more expensive than 1 5g, but will age faster in the smaller one.
Thanks!

Last edited:
My advise is this..

I would reconsider using store bough to top off.

Adding a bottle of similar, store bought wine would represent, perhaps, 1/26th of the volume. We are only talking about 3.8%. If the wine is similar, then it would not have much of an effect on the batch. Making a second batch, however, is a rather expensive way to top off.

The amount of loss in a 5 gal barrel will vary from barrel to barrel and from wine to wine. I have found that the amount of topping off you need to do will be much more in the beginning and less as time goes by.

I would make it a point to check it every week, if you are going to barrel age for 5 weeks, then I would be surprised if you need more than 2 bottles.

Thanks for the insight.. I think I'll be able to top off with the same batch in talking with others, but I'm going to run a 2nd batch anyway to help "break in the barrel"

Latest posts

Back