Topped off with too much water, what to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I made some Dragon Blood (also used several jars of blackberry Jam), thought I had cleared it and apparently did not. Racked it once and noticed that it had lots of gas. Lost a lot of wine due to it not being clear. Topped it off with a red wine. Tried to clear it with super clear. Did not clear I suppose due to it still having too much co2. Racked it again and topped it off with too much water, probably about 500 ml.

Before I racked it the second time, it had great body/mouthfeel and taste. Now it is much more bland in taste and body.

How do you suggest I fix this.

I have considered making a gallon of blackberry jam, taking a gallon out of the DB and adding the new wine,

Would that work?

you have probably lost some of it acid base. take a sample and sprinkle tartaric acid on it do taste test if an improvement do bench trials to find the right amount for the basic batch.

You may be having trouble clearing because of the jam. The cooking process sets the pectin, and you added it to your wine. Pectic enzyme will wipe this out for you, allowing the wine to clear.

NEVER top a wine with water. Use a compatible wine. If you won't have a compatible wine, use ANY wine. But not water.

This is not gonna help you now, but for your next batch:

Add pectic enzyme according to label directions. Especially if you're using any type of cooked fruit (like jams) this will break down fruit pectins which will cause haze and prevent the wine from clearing. It's often recommended to add pectic enzyme 1 day before adding yeast. Regardless, add it before adding a fining agent. If there are pectins in the wine, it will not clear.

When the wine is stable (SG below 0.998 for 1 week or a consistent reading for 3 weeks), degas the wine by stirring vigorously for 10 minutes (4 minutes with drill mounted stirring rod). Then add 1/4 tsp kmeta/ 5 gallons and fining agent as per label directions.

If the SG is above 0.998 for 3 weeks, add 1/4 tsp sorbate/1 gallon to prevent renewed fermentation.

Degassing and fining agent are NOT required. Time will degas the wine and clear it. However, degassing and fining speed up the process and give the wine maker more control.

Latest posts

Back