WineXpert Toping off CRP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just racked to another carboy to set aside for bulk ageing and I need to top it off.....Would you use water or just another red wine to do so...

Thanks

i use another red wine of a similar style if i can get it. if you have a library of already-completed kits, that serves as a good source, if not, a commercial bottle or even a good-quality bag-in-box wine is good for topping up. the 3L boxed wines are nice to have on hand for this because they will keep longer than an open 750ml bottle and you get often get several topping-ups out of a single box.

Ah! I see. That makes topping off a bit more difficult. Sorry for my density. I'm used to abbreviations for CF/M (cab franc merlot) and all kind of other crazy stuff. But that's the first time I've seen that one. Cheers!

Jim

I see that you already topped off from your post on FVW! Did you sneak a taste?

I had the same problem. When it went into the carboy I had almost a litre left over. I wish I had saved it for the next racking.

I ended up using almost a bottle of Malbec that I had. Then, when I bottled it I had a wee bit left. That disappeared quite quickly and we're already looking forward to more!

I never used to like seeing time pass, but these days I look forward to seeing a couple of years go by!

Wade, thats where I made the mistake....I've had a cold that has left me all stuffed up.....Therefore I can't smell or really taste anything. I should have waited but didn't.....Had some free time and wanted to get it racked...

Latest posts

Back