Mosti Mondiale Top up Amarone kit with........?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Looks like I may need about 2 bottles to top up with, possibly three!!! Of course I do not want to purchase a retail Amarone (cost), what would you suggest? I have in bottles: SuperTuscan, Barbaresco, Luna Rossa, Cal. Trinity Red. I also could go out and purchase something inexpensive like the Bolla Valpol.

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure which one of your own types would match it best. You could always go the marble route and add enough marbles to top it up. Do a search for marbles and you can get more information. Sounds like you are getting a nice selection going there. You are going to be seeing more friends in you future!

If you have one that would work too. I keep a few small bungs for airlocks on 375,750 or 1.5L and can put any extra in those. Small adjustments I put in my belly.

I'd go witha Valpolicella (sp?). This has some similar characteristics - since it is often a base wine in Amarone. It is also can be a lot cheaper. I bought a good bottle for $10 to top an Amarone with - not as cheap as your own, but maybe a better match. I assume that is what you mention with the Bolla - although I don't know the quality of that one.

Thanks for the suggestions, since this is a rather expensive kit, I hate to dilute it. I do need to do at least one more racking, so I might be better off with the 5 gallon (friend has one I can borrow).

I'd use any dry red you have sitting around unless you are an absolute purist. 2-3 bottles will blend in just fine.I have a batch of VR Cab I use to top up reds and a VR Pinot I top off whites with. Works fine for me.

Smurfe

Francie, I too needed to top up my Amarone, not wanting to dilute it, I used my 5 gallon carboy. Then had a couple of wine bottles to fill with the rest. It worked really nice! But,the wine bottles were to easy to drink, and of courseare gone.
smiley1.gif
It is a really nice wine!

I'm pretty new at this, but appleman's suggestion on using marbles has been working great for me. Hobby Lobby sells a 2lb bag for $1.99 on sale they're 99 cents. I got clear ones that are slightly flattened. They work great for topping to the exact level you want. They do sell larger ones that are flattened. don't get those. They don't fit in the neck of the carboy.

Thanks jeffhigdon, I have been pondering the thought of purchasing the marbles, and glad to read your experience with the larger flat marbles.

Latest posts

Back