Quantcast

Top off with my extra wine juice?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

AbruzziRed

Junior
Reaction score
Can I top off the secondary and each racking of wine with the juice I pulled out of the primary to make room for fermenting? The juice has been sitting in the fridge in 1 gallon glass jugs?
I buy 6 gallon pails of juice, pull one gallon out and go from there.
I heard you add the juice but others say it will starting fermenting again or make the wine sweet. I have a Zinfandel, Merlot and Pinot Noir.

Rice_Guy

Reaction score
At first racking I assume that the yeast is active and will top off with a sugar. I would consider it risky after that since it will keep the yeast active.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
When you have too much wine to fit in your planned fermentor - 1) Freeze the extra and save for another batch or 2) Ferment it in a separate smaller bucket. Adding un-fermented juice to a fermented batch is NOT a good idea.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Agree Dawg, I ferment 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon bucket and even when I raise the starting volume to 4 or 4.25 gallons there is plenty of space. IF i ran out of space I would probably use one of my 2 gallon fermentation bucket and put enough in there so that I had at least 1 gallon in the small bucket and 3 gallons or more in the 5 gallon bucket. Once I start a batch - i don't want to hold out any to ferment later, but one could do that.

(By the way I have to figure out how I'm going to use my HW "Black Raspberry Juice. Guess I'll run two 4 gallon batches and see how much I lose to sediment at then end of those. Got enough 4 liter and 3 gallon carboys to take care of any 'excess' wine.)

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
very N.E. Arkansas in the instep of MO, BOOTHILL,,
Agree Dawg, I ferment 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon bucket and even when I raise the starting volume to 4 or 4.25 gallons there is plenty of space. IF i ran out of space I would probably use one of my 2 gallon fermentation bucket and put enough in there so that I had at least 1 gallon in the small bucket and 3 gallons or i knew you knew better,,lol
Dagwmore in the 5 gallon bucket. Once I start a batch - i don't want to hold out any to ferment later, but one could do that.

(By the way I have to figure out how I'm going to use my HW "Black Raspberry Juice. Guess I'll run two 4 gallon batches and see how much I lose to sediment at then end of those. Got enough 4 liter and 3 gallon carboys to take care of any 'excess' wine.)
yeah me neither, but that dude said he pulled a gallon out, in that circumstance i'd ferment the extra at the same time, different jug, naw i'm like you i ferment with larger fermenters, from 14 gal to 40 gal ferment barrels,
Dawg
Dawg

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I buy 6 gallon pails of juice, pull one gallon out and go from there.
Another choice is to get a larger primary. 8 gallon primaries made for beer & wine making are common, or you can go with a Brute food grade plastic garbage can (buy it new!). A lot of guys use them, and I purchased a couple of 32 gallon cans with lids last year. If doing small batches, smaller sizes are available.

I didn't need 32 gallons .... but they'll handle anything I might put in them. I recommend buying a size larger than you think you need.

EDIT: I find that my 7/8 gallon primaries, designed for wine making, are a bit small when I have a vigorous fermentation. I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of 10 gallon Brutes to use as primaries for small batches, and keep the 7/8 around for intermediate racking containers.

Last edited: