too warm yeast might have died

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orejunky

Reaction score
So I had my small batch of mango-peach wine in my warm but not too warm living room and everything was fine. I come home and my roommate cranked the heat to around 28 degrees. i look at my jug and everything has stopped. I'm pretty sure the yeast is dead, as the jug was really warm to the touch....can i add more yeast to reactivate it?

So I had my small batch of mango-peach wine in my warm but not too warm living room and everything was fine. I come home and my roommate cranked the heat to around 28 degrees. i look at my jug and everything has stopped. I'm pretty sure the yeast is dead, as the jug was really warm to the touch....can i add more yeast to reactivate it?

That's only 82.4F, it shouldn't harm the yeast to get into the low 80's, but it will speed it up pretty good. What yeast are you using and what's your starting and current SG readings?

I don't remember what my SG was, I can't find the sheet I wrote it on. I used EC-1118 yeast that i got from Magnotta. It was just store bought Mango-Peach juice with 1cup of sugar added. I thought it would ferment longer than 5 days, it's only a 1 gallon jug though.
Could i pitch more yeast?

it does say that the packet was for 23L....and I used all of it in the 1 gallon jug. Oops. could they just have eaten everything really fast?

no because I don't have a wine thief that fits the hole in the jug. I'm hoping santa gets me one that's a smaller diameter.

no because I don't have a wine thief that fits the hole in the jug. I'm hoping santa gets me one that's a smaller diameter.

If you like, you can tie a very light piece of monofilament fishing line onto the top of your hydrometer, use a slipknot and tie it tight. Sanitize your hydrometer and lower it into the jug, take your reading and pull it right out.

I have a piece attached to my hydrometer and take all of my readings in carboys this way without having to do sanitize the wine thief and return the sample to the carboy.

I would guess that his starting S.G. was 1.070. Most of the 100% juices
are around S.G. 1.050. So that plus 1 cup sugar (.020) = S.G. 1.070. No ??

Bill

If you like, you can tie a very light piece of monofilament fishing line onto the top of your hydrometer, use a slipknot and tie it tight. Sanitize your hydrometer and lower it into the jug, take your reading and pull it right out.

I have a piece attached to my hydrometer and take all of my readings in carboys this way without having to do sanitize the wine thief and return the sample to the carboy.

I do this but I use dental floss instead of mono. It holds on to the hydrometer better imho.

Plus my dentist gives me some every six months when I leave the office, and who REALLY uses that much for flossing?

I do this but I use dental floss instead of mono. It holds on to the hydrometer better imho.

Plus my dentist gives me some every six months when I leave the office, and who REALLY uses that much for flossing?

Dental floss, hmmmm, I'm going to give that a try as well. Are you using the string type floss or the plastic tape type? My dentist loads me up too, got a pile of the stuff...

Great idea! No more messing with a thief and tube again, thanks!:db

Dental floss, hmmmm, I'm going to give that a try as well. Are you using the string type floss or the plastic tape type? My dentist loads me up too, got a pile of the stuff...

Tape kind but I would think either should work.

Hey guys and gals....I just want to say that I just bottled my batch. I had a big demijon, so I decided to bulk age two 19.1L carbouys and bottle the rest in 750mL bottles. I think it tastes pretty good, but it is my baby. I just want to say that KS to everyone that has helped me out. I think I'm going to do a red next. Any suggestions? I'm probably going to do a Festa juice again, as it seemed low maintenance (looking back only)....at the time it was stressful as heck. Anywho, no stress now, some decent pinot grigio

Latest posts

Back