too soon to press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

pecka

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
my primary fermentator on my cabernet has been at 0 brix for 2 plus days and the temp has dropped almost 10 degrees but it is still bubbling. can i press now or do i need to wait until it stops bubbling and forming a cap?
 

Wade E

Premium
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
33,224
Reaction score
277
You could press now if the sg is staying the same, its probably C02 causing the airlock to bubble.
 

Racer

Future vineyard owner
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
619
Reaction score
1
You could press at any time now. Depending on the type of grapes your working with you could press earlier if you wanted to. The longer you keep the wine sitting on the skins and seeds the more tannins you will get extracted from them since tannins are alchohol soluable.
 

pecka

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Thanks for the fast replies! I like a "big" cabernet and am just paranoid that if i press early it will be to fruity. Of course i am also paranoid that if i wait i will come down one morning to a rotten egg smell. I would either press today or have to wait until wednesday. Since it is still forming a pretty good cap, i am assuming there are still some hungry yeasts in there. If it was your wine, would you press now or wait 3 days?
 

Latest posts

Top